Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

InDesign, controlling layer visibility

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing a Data Merge and based on the contents of a data placed in a text box I want to turn off/on certain layers?

Is this possibily?

Thanks in advanced

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not possible with just the data merging feature.
It is recommended to use scripts together.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't think that is possible. This would require some scripting, we could either create a script that compliments the native data merge functionality or design a custom data merge based on how much custom control is needed for the workflow

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the solution is to name the placeholder frames on the DataMerge template and then execute a script on the merged document. However, toggling layers based on each record's contents likely will not achieve the desired result. You'd need to toggle visibility of individual page items on each page, I'm thinking. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible directly...

One workaround is to export to PDF each of the Layer separately, than add them in the database to place them in a frame in your document. Easy, fast!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think turning on and of layers based on an item in a single record would be dangerous. It will not affect the selected item, but the whole document and you get surely unwanted results.

No, it is not possible.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right, turning off layers is probably not the right approach. But you can certainly toggle visibility on distinct page items and/or remove page items on other layers per page based on a page's contents. Never say never; just about anything can be done via automation. It's just about finding the right solution to the problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines