Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Crashes and Won't Force Quit - Mac needs reboot

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm having an annoying issue with InDesign on my MacBook Pro. Basically, InDesign will crash 'spinning wheel' and I'll have to force quit but it doesn't force quit, although the programme disappears. It's still visible in the force quit window although the programme can't be used or seen. Looking in the activity monitor InDesign doesn't not appear to be running. The only thing that appears to resolve the issue is rebooting my laptop, this is annoying, for example I'm currently downloading some files which I don't want to interrupt so I can't work on InDesign until this completes.

I'm using High Sierra 10.13.2 InDesign CC is up to date.

Any assistance with this would be great.

Thanks, Jo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first, update High Sierra. There have been a lot of bug fixes issued in the last updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi graphix75,

I would like to know if updating High Sierra worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem on iMac with Catalina 10.15.4. InDesign disappears but stays inside the Force Quit Window and you cannot restart InDesign. Only solution seems to be a complete restart of the computer. But then, you may have lost data and the temporary file/version ... 😞

Kind regards,
Sacha Heck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this EXACT same issue. Never happened before and has happened 3x today so far... what's going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issues for over a year now. It sometimes also happens in Illustrator. I am up to date on all software updates. Running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2015 imac with 24gb of memory. This situation has been a workflow killer. Adobe please respond to this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me, I am all up to date on softare and OS, but I have a very large file which cerashes, and then InDesign remains in the Force Quite window, even though it is greyed out on the activity Monitor. And then I can't even do a restart without holding down the button on my iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue exactly. When I do reboot via the button the problem is persisting. My iMac is only a few months old and I am on Adobe 2021. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im up to date indesign 2021, and this keeps happening, this time I tried to cancel a background task which got stuck ,that didn't quite tried force quit still doesnt quit tried Actvity manager to force quite still doesn;t quit?

Getting a bit annoyed by this now, its been happening quite regulalry for a few weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, when I was having this issue on my old imac running High Sierra (Creative Suite up-to-date), it turned out to be an issue with my font files. I removed my entire font file (not system fonts), restarted, and then slowly reinstalled opentype and type 1 fonts as I needed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines