• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Crashing When Editing Presentation File

New Here ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m working on a presentation in indesign. Not a very big file. Everything was going pretty good but then suddenly it started crashing. It’s fine when I’m working on any other file but this one as soon as I try moving elements around it just closes the entire indesign altogether.

The issue started last week and I went to ask for some help from my workshop tutor (I’m a graphics student so I had the opportunity to go and ask) and he made me download a newer version of Mac software (I’m running the newest one rn) and it temporarily fixed it. I was able to finish the presentation but I was asked to add some new stuff and change some bits.

The thing is suddenly indesign started crashing again. Same situation, I open the file and try to move something around and it just crashes closing the entire program. I don’t know what to do, tried saving as a new file, as idml, restarting it, I tried resetting the preferences but when I use the shortcut nothing happens. I’m stuck and the clock is ticking cause I need to deliver the presentation this weekend. What else can I try?

I can’t really copy the pages into a new file because when I try the app just closes again

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting the preferences but when I use the shortcut nothing happens

If nothing happened, you certainly released the keys too soon: quit InDesign and relaunch it while holding down the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Cmd keys. Don't release them until you see a warning message asking for confirmation.

But note that if you use the last InDesign version (19.4) you can reset preferences another way:

Capture d’écran 2024-05-17 à 12.48.47.png

To be very honest, I never tested this way to reset preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Maria374803362ytz

Maybe your file is corrupted - try IDMLing - export as IDML, open, save with a new name. 

Then please read this post about the difference between Save and Save As:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-files-force-quitting-with-quot-unknown-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the other suggestions offered, how much RAM and spare hard disk capicity do you have? The latest versions of InDesign need a powerful computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be corruption in the file. Try saving the file as an IDML file (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]). Then reopen the IDML file. That can sometimes fix corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, can you please confirm your exact actual versions of InDesign and macOS? i know you mentioned "newest" but sometimes it's not what it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Maria374803362ytz,

Hope you're doing well!

We would like to follow up on your issue. Are you able to resolve the issue by following our expert suggestions? If not, could you please share the information requested by our expert so we can help you further? Does that happen with this specific file or all files?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines