• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Files Force Quitting with "Unknown Error" on Windows 10 Enterprise machine

New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three InDesign files that continuously force quit and receive an "unkonw error" message as soon as I open them.  I originally had TTF set in these partiular files and "activating" fonts was slowing things down in the background. I believe I have successfully converted to OTF. The files have numerous links to graphics such as .psd, jpg, png files. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing InDesign, and resetting my preferences.  I have successfully worked in other InDesign files without issue during this time. Knowing that, I wondered if these 3 particular files were currupted.  But, a co-worker was able to open and work in them succesfully without the "unknown error" message.  I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise. Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the troublesome files to IDML and try to work with those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mary30351654vfiv,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting the issue. In addition to what our expert has suggested, could you please tell us the version of InDesign installed on your machine? Does that happen specifically with these 3 files only or with a new file as well?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'm running InDesign 2024.  Oddly, I was able to access one of the files and edit all day yesterday without interruption.  Today, i'm back to the same "unknown error" message from Adobe on same file. I do work remotely and my company's VPN may be disrupting use of Adobe?  I will try @BobLevine's suggestion as well. I did have some luck last week moving a file to my local network, but moving shared files and links back and forth is not efficient. Thank you, Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mary30351654vfiv 

How often are you doing Save As with a new name - or only Save?

When you work in InDesign, every operation you make is added to the Undo History - which is saved at - or rather atted to - the end of the file. This Undo History is only available until you close your document. After you close your document - it's still part of the file - but is inaccessible. But when you open your file again - all this Undo History needs to be analysed to build most up to date version of the file.

So if you work a lot on the same document - and save it frequently - your file gets bigger and bigger.

Save As with a new name purges this Undo History.

Of course, next time you want to work on your file - you should open this new copy - so it's best to use a date or counter.

And as an additional bonus - you get a backup copy.

IDMLing mentioned by @BobLevine - export as IDML, open, save with a new name - completely rebuilds your document and purges all Undo History and gets rid of all previews. But in most cases is used as a lost resort, to fix corrupted file.

Also, From version 19, InDesign is a bit fussy with slow network connections - and if you add a lot of Undo Hstory to process...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the feedback. I don't routinely do save as, but I have with this particular file. I will try and routinely do this when working with InDesign moving forward.  I'm still getting the error message when I log in through a VPN connection and try to access InDesign. I've had to resort to relocating my work station, and not work remotely over VPN but live in an office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines