Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CS4/CS3 and Export to PDF problems

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been having problems with both Indesign CS3 and CS4 and exporting large documents to a PDF-file. Exporting halts with error messages like: "Failed to Export the PDF file" in CS4 or "Error encountered while reading JPEG image" in CS3.

Problem can be corrected by simply closing InDesign and restarting it and opening the same file again. It appears that problem occurs more often the file is large. Any suggestions how to fix this problem?

I'm using Vista 64-bit and have 8GB memory.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2009 Mar 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 6.0.1 update did not fix our problems. We are now experimenting by starting to use PSD-format instead of JPEG-format in our picture files. This might cause especially the "Error encountered while reading JPEG image" error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samuli,
What is the resolution of your images, and what are the compression/downsampling settings in the PDF joboptions you're using? I'm suspicious of further issues in the memory allocation methods similar to the one that was addressed in the 6.0.1 update.

Thanks!
Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolution of the linked images varies quite a lot. We always use max. available resolution for the images, since we do use same images for posters and catalogs.

Images are downsampled to 200 pixels per inch using bicubic downsampling and automatic (JPEG) compression. Image quality is Maximum.
PDF compatibility is Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing some testing, I'm quite certain that JPEG-pictures are causing the problems and random "Error encountered while reading JPEG image" error. Simply re-saving the pictures as PSD-format solved out all the problems.

So, my suggestion is not to use JPEG-pictures with InDesign CS3/CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further more, only JPEG-pictures with resolution over 3000x3000 pixels seem to be causing problems. Reducing picture size or changing the format to PSD is the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this error MANY times. I always end up having to just go through and randomly delete certain photos with a trial and error process but what I THINK is happening is I think ths error occurs when I copy and paste images either from PowerPoint or email. (In my company not everyone has InDesign so alot of times they do it in PowerPoint and then I redesign it in InDesign and its always easiest to just take their presentation and copy and paste everything back and forth but this is when I have realized there are problems.)

it's a wild guess, but once I realized and delete the photos that were copied and pasted from PowerPoint and also from email I had no problems.

None of the other suggestions in this forum had helped me so hopefully this will help someone down the road!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so frustrating that nearly 6 years after this issue was flagged in this thread (and at least several others), there is no so solution. I feel that I am following est practices. I always use "Place" I am only using the Creative Suite to edit, create manipulate my linked images and I am still getting errors every so often that in a 100+ page document becomes very arduous to troubleshoot. I feel like I almost need to test export every new image or two I place just to figure out the "problem" when it happens. Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still using an old version? You shouldn't expect to see any changes to any version not in current release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using InDesign CS4 (Version 6.0.6). It is even sadder that major issues are not resolved during the entire lifecycle of a version release. I guess there is no point in complaining about this anymore. I just needed to vent my frustration. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines