New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Facts:

InDesign CS5, v7.0.4

OS X 10.7.4

No third-party font-management application running.

Macbook Pro (June, 2012)

InDesign crashes in these two instances:

1. Trying to delete a page that has content. Right as the warning box comes up, it shows up without content (just the "Warning" title) and crashes.

2. When packaging a file, as it's about to warn you about the perils of archiving fonts it does the same thing as above, and crashes.

Tried the alt-opt-cmd-shift trick to reboot preferences and nothing.

Tried deleting the two preference files directly so that they would rebuild and nothing.

Interestingly, I have another computer running OS 10.7.3 (as opposed to 10.7.4 on the crashy one) and the same InDesign CS5 7.0.4 and that one works perfectly.

Ideas? Leads?

Thanks

Armin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Our engineers have provided a workaround that, while potentially complex for some, should allow for full functionality.

Essentially we're asking those affected by this issue to place three icon files within the InDesign application file itself to bypass the check for the missing API.

Please take a look at the just published article and see if the steps and the files work for you.

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 217 Replies 217
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news:

I was having the same problem with CS4 on mid-2012 MBP with 10.7.4, but I'm really please to announce that I've just upgraded to Mountain Lion and CS4 seems to have fixed itself!

I decided that I wouldn't do any patching/moving/updating until after Mountain Lion was released (in case there were more issues thrown up).

So just to be clear, CS4 was crashing on error dialogs like everybody elses, I didn't do any of the things on the solution page, installed Mountain Lion and now CS4 works again!

On a completely unrelated note - is anyone else finding that ML seems a bit slow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it faster but I did a clean install on two machines. A brand new Air and a late 2008 MacBook that had Snow Leopard on it.

I don't trust in place upgrades and would rather invest the time up front to get the machine cleaned out and set up the way I want it.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our engineers have finished testing an applescript to help avoid the more complicated steps. The script has been added to http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes.html for any that desire an automated fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Scott, for keeping on top of this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scott – thank you for posting this!

FWIW could you add InDesign CS4 to the list of "Products Affected" with a hint that there is no fix yet?

Otherwise people get confused.

And another question: is InDesign CS3 affected, too?

I'm planning to migrate all my Adobe software to the new "Retina" MacBook in the course of the year: CS3, CS4, CS5.5, CS6.
And there are still some of my customers out there using CS3 and CS4.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi uwe,

im working on a retina book and im still using cs3. cs3 works fine and is not affected.

im finishing a lot of projects in time and then ill upgrade to cs6 - trying the published patch.

ill let you know if it works also here.

@scott & adobe team: thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Berny – thank you for reporting about InDesign CS3 on the new "Retina" MacBook!

Btw. I will use InDesign CS6 for production purposes not before a new bug fix round is delivered (8.0.1).

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for a more comprehensive bug fix update is probably a good idea in regards to CS6. While the work-around worked to solve that one, repeatable crashing issue, I still experience random crashes to the desktop in Lion far too often.

-kpluck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woohooo! CS5 Solution #1 worked for CS5 using OS 10.7.4 Thanks Scott!

Referencing: 

191. Scott Worthington,

Adobe Employee   Adobe Employee  

Jul 16, 2012 4:54 PM

"...The script has been added to http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes .html for any that desire an automated fix."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround Solution 1 fix worked for me -- so far, so good. Was able to delete page with contents, and package file with fonts successfully. CS6 on a 15-inch, June 2012, MacBook Pro, non-Retina, 10.7.4. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott and Adobe engineers,

Thank you so very much for this solution, it works for CS5 and CS6. I've got full functionality back even after I upgraded to 10.7.4 on my mid 2012 macbook pro 13". This is the quick fix I was hoping for. Maybe you should edit the text on the solution page including all Indesign CS versions which this fix works for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott and Adobe engineers,

good to hear, that you finally found a solution!

Since Indesign CS 4 is also affected, i'd like to ask, if you will provide a fix for this application, too?

I know, CS 4 is very old and you can't support your software forever. But if the problem is about some missing icons, it shouldn't be too complicated to fix it also.

The fix for CS 5+ does not work with CS 4, because there's no "UI.InDesignPlugin".

Thanks,

Gerd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerd,

Did you look for 'Application UI.InDesignPlugin'? I did not see it at first either but re read the instructions and saw my misreading. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pure&simple,

thanks for your reply.

I found "Application UI.InDesignPlugin". In this package there's an alias to a folder called "Resources". In this folder, there are 3 files: "Application UI.rsrc", "Info.plist" and "PkgInfo". Unfortunately no folder is called "idrc_PNGA" and so I don't know, where to put these icons.

Thanks,

Gerd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerd, if that is the case I'm afraid it won't work for CS4. So sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott.

Note:

While placing these files should continue to allow additional updates be aware that we are modifying the existing application file. Moving or changing the contents of the application can result in needing to reinstall the application.

Does that mean that we'll be compelled to reinstall the application in order to apply future updates for InDesign ?

Or will the future InDesign updates deal with the stuff for us ?

Thank you for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott, this appears to work and I'm now able to export/package normally. Thanks for all your hard work and please keep us posted when a proper update is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, Solution 1 worked for me - can export PDFs without crashing on the blank WARNING dialog. Worry over. Thanks Scott!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines