• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS5

Guide ,
Apr 11, 2010 Apr 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David and Anne-Marie has made an excellent article about InDesign CS5 new features...

http://indesignsecrets.com/roundup-of-indesign-cs5-features-honest-this-time.php

I´m very exited specially about those new interactive features...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 127 Replies 127
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Not read yet:) Does it address the five Most Frequent Complaints, as seen on this very forum?

5. Is CS5 free open source? "Adobe made so much money off of me the past (...) years, do I have to pay again for this new version?"

4. Does it run on my Mac SE II? "They have lots of programmers, there must be at least a few that don't need the latest, fastest CPU and ten gigabyte of memory to run a big & complicated piece of software on!"

3. Does it come with a Writers Mode? "I want to write a novel so I bought this expensive program, thinking it would be the best. If I start it, it has a gray screen and I can't type anything. Word allows you to type right away!"

2. Can it open PDFs? "Adobe designed the PDF format, so InDesign should logically be able to edit these files. Can't they understand their own PDF specifications?"

1. Does it come with a Mind Reading interface? "If I place something on a master page it suddenly appears on every page, not just on the ones I want! Help!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently footnotes still can't span columns.Really, I'm so disappointed that this hasn't been addressed. It's been 6 years and I'm still asking for that one feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene -- it seems to me 'span columns' is a Paragraph style option. Do you have reasons to believe it won't work in footnotes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reading the comments posted on the blog. That's all I have to go on. If footnotes can span columns I'll rejoice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Span/Split Columns and footnotes basically mutually exclusive...

There's a lot of rough edges with Split/Span Columns. For instance: Keeps options don't work very well. I don't think Split /Span Columns will kill Column Flow quite yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming Harbs - you wouldn't by any chance have a footnote span columns solution would you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 SHIPPING - For What It’s Worth -

I ordered ID (and 3 other programs) yesterday after the “show.“ Was told that my order would ship on the 29th. But, just got

email from Adobe that it HAS SHIPPED!

I orderd the 3 day shipping.

Thank you Adobe; that’s pretty great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jimm,

There's tons of stuff beyond mixed page sizes. Did you look at any of the blogs linked above? ID CS5 is a quantum leap in many areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup I was asked in work why we should upgrade, first thing I said was "tracked changes" and it was sold. Easy peasy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and the footnotes thing - that seems like it needs to be overhauled, if it's too hard update it's current state, then perhaps figure out a way to make it more updateable or something. It hasn't been updated since CS2 - which is a long time now. Surely in 5 or 6 years they could have done something with footnotes to make them better. It might be expensive or whatever for them, but in that timeframe I can only imagine how many millions of dollars have been made with InDesign sales alone.

Spanning columns would be a dream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the span columns for the subheads in a chapter in a book, along with the balance columns feature, in the beta version at least, was extremely slow. I hope they sorted that out for the release version.

For my needs, InDesign CS5 is extremely dissapointing. I work in book design — books that are printed. For people working in print, the only major feature is this span columns thing, which doesn't work in footnotes as noted. The different page sizes is nice, but I personally have little use for it.

I feel like I've been waiting for an upgrade to CS4, and instead, with all the Flash and animation, feel like I've got a different program altogether. I want my InDesign back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's a paragraph attribute, and no it will not work in footnotes. That's just the facts...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Span columns does not seem to work with footnotes. I've been trying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVATAQ wrote:

Span columns does not seem to work with footnotes. I've been trying...

That's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see post 79 of this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2786409#2786409

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody reads post 79.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a look at my top ten (with a bunch of honorable mentions) http://www.theindesignguy.com/cs5-thoughts.shtml

I love this upgrade. Of course, I don't use footnotes, but I think there's something for everyone here. My biggest disappointment, for the record is no form fields for PDFs.

Here's a link to The InDesigner (Michael Murphy) http://www.theindesigner.com/blog/episode-54-a-first-look-at-indesign-cs5-2

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good round-up Bob, I've been posting your link on multiple forums, it's a good write-up, well done.

I can live with spanning footnotes as I do it by hand with the "footnotes to endnotes" script and then a footnote object style, I just have to manually find the superscript and then work with placing the footnotes.

It doesn't take too long to do, but it would be better if InDesign just handled it.

I'd have some use for things. The different page size is interesting, wondering if I could have a 3 page spread, back cover/spine/front cover, with different sizes, so it would 210 + 5 + 210 in a spread?

It certainly looks interesting but I'm very disappointed with once again footnotes are igorned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This one just says YES!

multipagespread.PNG

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool Bob.

Making a cover will be so much easier now, dust jackets and fold outs for magazines and all sorts will be a snap now.

That alone is big thumbs up for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you have vertical spreads?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do that in CS4 with spread rotation view. There's nothing new there.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vertical spreads was there in CS4 already as rotated spread views...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines