• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC2021 on the same computer?

Explorer ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to download Indesign CS6 onto a computer running InDesign CC2021 on Windows 10.

A couple of months ago, I ran both programs on a computer with Windows 7, but since upgrading it to Windows 10, I can't download InDesign CS6 onto it. InDesign CC2021 works fine.

I've checked my CC account and downloading an older version of InDesign isn't listed as an option. Why the change? Is there a new way that works?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only have a Cloud subscription for InDesign then Adobe revised its policy last year to only make the current version and one previous major version available to Cloud subscribers.

If you've never owned a perpetually licensed version of CS6 (with a serial number) then you do not have access to that version via your Cloud membership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to John's reply, CS6 is not supported under Windows 10. If you do have a perpetual license you can try to run it under Win 7 compatibility mode, but I have to ask...why do you even need it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 allows me to read Pagemaker files and, more importantly, convert them to InDesign files. I've got hundreds of them. Before upgrading to Windows 10, Adobe let me download CS6, from their site, as part of my CC subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe stopped downloads of old apps a couple of years ago - that's not a Windows 10 thing specifically. If you kept the download, you can still use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so. I downloaded CS6 from Adobe just before last Christmas. If I'd know I was going to lose CS6 in the upgrade I would have stayed with Windows 7.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alanwilkie wrote:

I downloaded CS6 from Adobe just before last Christmas.

Via the Cloud desktop app though? It has not been available via the desktop app for at least a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it was months before Christmas (I have no way of checking the exact time now)... but, it was definitely via the cloud app. The main question is...
What's the easiest way to open and convert my Pagemaker files now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's a tough one. You're in the same boat as others with years of Pagemaker files who have asked for an Indesign plugin to open Pagemaker files. I personally doubt the request will go anywhere since all Adobe's resources are focussed on future products but you never know.

Add your vote to this feature request:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/39398041-pl...

Not sure if you've already tried this, or if it will work at all, but one workaround may be to download a 30 day trial of CS6 from

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-direct-download-links.html

That will only give you 30 days access before it asks for a serial number. If you don't have one then you'll only have a 30 day window to convert your Pagemaker files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I've added my name to the feature request. But I haven't downloaded CS6 from ProDesignTools yet. Sure, it might work... but isn't Adobe beholden to its paid subscribers to provide a better solution than an offsite workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but isn't Adobe beholden to its paid subscribers to provide a better solution than an offsite workaround?

Well Adobe can change the Cloud apps at any time. Seems that they're under no obligation to provide us with access to CS6 - or any other previous versions - forever. It was good while it lasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE CS6 and Windows 10:

I've been running CS6 on my desktop PC with Windows 10 for the last 6 years -- with no need for compatibility mode and no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd request you to check out these support articles explaining the Adobe's software support guidelines:

1. https://helpx.adobe.com/support/programs/support-periods.html

2. https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/download-availability.html

Hope they help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines