Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign, data merge and subfolders

Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way too have Indesign pull images from subfolders when using data merge?

I have 6,000+ images in multiple folders, to help keep them organized. eg. H:\Images\JKL\K02501.psd

My InDesign file is on my local computer.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Yes to your question.

But you have to state the full path of every single image file in your data source file.

FWIW: Perhaps it would be easier to run your data merge with a data source file that is in the same folder with duplicates of all your 6,000+ images? Then you would only need to list the file names. Not the whole path.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to your question.

But you have to state the full path of every single image file in your data source file.

FWIW: Perhaps it would be easier to run your data merge with a data source file that is in the same folder with duplicates of all your 6,000+ images? Then you would only need to list the file names. Not the whole path.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: It does not matter where your InDesign template document for data merge is.

The position of the data merge data source file is counting.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

// EDITED FOR CLARITY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes your correct I would not waant to copy paste every image path into my spreadsheet.

Do you think in my spreadsheet I could write a formula that would place the last folder location into the path name? eg. H:\Images\KLMN\myimage.psd, I already have the have the first part of the path which is static as "H:|Images\" written in the @Image column then concatenate the file name "myimage.psd" on the end. I could write an if/else the file name begins with a K or L or M or N, look in the KLMN folder else look in OPQR folder and so on. Obviously I didn't write that correctly but you should get the jist of it. It would be a very long string. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi apcoinc,

I would simply try this. Start with a couple of file paths only and do a test with data merge.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I hope your issue is resolved already but in case you need more assistance please reply to this thread. 

Else, if the solution above helped, please confirm. 

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sheena,

I am facing a different issue. I try to merge data using CSV file, but when I do data merge some pictures go missing from the InDesign generated document. I tried to copy same pictures link for all the cells, but still pictures fails to import. 

There are certain pattern of this issue, like some pictures from a row do not get imported, at some places some pictures in a column fais to import.

May I know the possible reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I'm having the same issue as above but InDesign is not recognising each individual artwork even tho I am giving it the indivdual file path of each of the artworks in each of the subfolders. It simply repeats the first image and again, as if it's get lost because of the different subfodlers

I have directory like this - /Artworks/<titles-unqieID>/<subfolders_of_languages/artwork.jpg

I ran the images2csv script to get a csv file and then updated the @images column with filepaths of each indicual artwork. E.g. 

/Users/myname/Downloads/sfa 4/priority1/Artworks/10856_Klumpfisken/1/0.jpg
/Users/myname/Downloads/sfa 4/priority1/Artworks/17346_1864 - Filmen/da/0.jpg
/Users/myname/Downloads/sfa 4/priority1/Artworks/24252_Den bedste mand/sv/0.jpg

I did a test will a batch the artworks in one folders and it worked, but this isn't an option for me, as I have 14K images which are not allowed to be renamed.

Any help would much appreciated!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I know the csv is working because the filenames are correct for each row. I have tried substituting / for : and copying the style path from an image in a random foler. 

It seems to get stuck at the end of one folder and can't locate images between different folders even tho it has the direct file path.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi littleConcert,

you said: "I ran the images2csv script to get a csv file and then updated the @images column with filepaths of each indicual artwork. E.g. "

Do you have a download URL for that script you could post?

Are you on Windows 10?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines