Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign document looks different when exported

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people,

I'm new to graphic design and I've been using Adobe InDesign for about 2 months. I'm currently voluntary working on a student magazine. I think I'm doing overall a good job, however I'm confused when it comes to techincal elements of importing/exporting a document(s). I want to do a good job and give those people that will print it (not on a home printer, i'm talking about those big factory printers that print magazines and newspapers) a correct pdf print version.

The problem I face is that my document inside InDesign looks slightly different than the one exported into "PDF (print)". I'll show with pictures what I mean:

InDesign.png
Printscreen directly from InDesign while working (before exporting); I used multiply effect onto image btw.

Adobe acrobat pro.png

Printscreen from Adobe Acrobat Pro XI Pro (this is view of exported InDesign document in "pdf (print)" version)

Sumatra.png

This is printscreen of the same exported pdf (print) document, just in another pdf viewer (SumatraPDF)

illustrator.png

Printscreen how this vector image that i import into InDesign looks originally in Adobe Illustrator (printscreen directly from illustrator).

My ultimate questions are:

1) Is there any issue if I import picture in InDesign as a pdf file that is saved from Illustrator; does that couse any problems here?

2) Which one of these alternatives should I trust, or is there any way to really see how REAL print version will look like?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

The lines are in the Illustrator drawing. Open the placed AI file in Illustrator and zoom in 400% or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the white strokes intentional? When you place an image InDesign uses a lower quality proxy for the preview, so the AcrobatPro view is more accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White strokes are not intentional. My goal is to get what I see in InDesign. Btw, I use high quality display in Id.

I think that Acrobat Pro is making those lines whiter and slihtly sharpened than they are for some reason. I've read about "problem" with dotted strokes being messy in PDF view too, like they are not vectors after exporting (but they print fine). Idk, do you have any advice what should I do regarding this?

@Derek Cross

Ok, I'll check that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lines are in the Illustrator drawing. Open the placed AI file in Illustrator and zoom in 400% or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:))))))) I fixed it with deleting those lines in Ai, now it is looks the way I wanted.

Btw, in Ai lines don't look that sharp and white either but it looks great now in Acrobat too.

Thank you.

P.S: Sorry if I'm boring, do you have any advice at what zoom level should I watch pdf document in Acrobat pro if my pages are A4 ? E.G. on 100% zoom they look OK, but on 150% zoom pages look way better and cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you produce a PDF for commercial litho printing (unless you've been given a different spec from your printer) you select from the InDesign Acrobat PDF Presets, PDF/X-4 as single pages (not spreads) with Use Document Bleed Settings ticked.

I suggest you take a basic InDesign course such as the online video tutorials from Lynda.com (you can get a 30-day free trial) which you'd find invaluable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a table in indesign that looks allright when i put a QRcode in the table. But when I generate the pdf the QRpicture (PNG) crops some of the table line. And its not possible til arrange (I mean put the QR behind). What can I do not to have to go manually into every cell to resize every QRcode or go into every QRcode and trim.

can anyone help? -have a nice day

Tina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You QR Code will always have a parent container if you select it with the black Selection tool, you can set its fill color to none:

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines