Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign + Dropbox: Import failed, linked files not auto-syncing

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just got a new Macbook Pro 14-inch with OS Monterey and am encountering dropbox auto-syncing errors in Indesign that I didn't have with my old computer running OS Big Sur.

For example, I am working on an Indesign file from my Dropbox and there are "modified links" (also saved in dropbox) that need to be updated. On my old computer I would click update link from Indesign and it would automatically trigger dropbox to sync the file to my computer and then it would update in Indesign. Now on my new computer running Monterey, I am getting an "Import failed" error when I try to click update link in Indesign. If I right click on missing link and "Reveal in Finder," it opens to the correct dropbox folder and I have to manual sync the individual file to my computer, then toggle back to indesign to update it again. This new way is a lot more tidious than what I am used to.

Has anyone encountered this workflow problem? Is it a Monterey, Dropbox, or Adobe issue? Any ideas or suggestions?

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try turning off Smart Sync?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is a dropbos-caused problem.

Dropbox tries to save space on the local computer and does not save the file on the local drive, only an alias.

When you go to the finder you see beside your file or folder a small circle with a cloud symbol. When you click with right mouse click you can make this file or folder available offline.

In the presets of DP you can define which folder should be available ofline, but dropbox is oignoring sometimes this setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance this is a Dropbox problem AND either a InDesign or Mac issue? I got so tired of this happening that I moved some of my files completely off of Dropbox and onto my Mac desktop and it is STILL happening....I am trying to contact Dropbox, Adobe and next Mac to find out as this issue is costing me HOURS to do the workarounds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by the way - the workaround I am doing is -  open EVERY file that Preview will open by choosing "edit with Preview", immediately close each file, and only then will InDesign decide to re-link the file. This of course only works for files that Preview will open....the rest I have been manually re-linking. Infuriating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. It sucks that it's been years and this is still a problem dropbox are aware of. 

Refresher: Select all files that need updaing, hamburger + edit with preview which will download them all. Then quit preview and back in indesign click Update Links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread on the Dropbox community has good detail - https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Adobe-not-downloading-online-only-files-fro...

Looks like you have to toggle on a setting in the admin to make it work with MacOs - https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-for-teams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines