• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign: Exporting CMYK doc as RGB

Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I want to export a CMYK document as RGB, is it best to go into every swatch, and every placed link, and make sure all the colours are set to RGB before exporting?

Or can I just set it to `sRGB` under the `Color Conversion` section when exporting a PDF? Will that be enough?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

To answer your question, there's no need to change anything in your document. Simply change your PDF export options for Output to Convert to Destination and set your destination for sRGB. You should also include Destination profile.

However, MY question is why you are wanting to do this. This day and age, particularly with a mixed colorspace document, the best approach is to export a PDF with "No Color Conversion" with profile tags included, and let the printer's RIP deal with conversion later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Or can I just set it to `sRGB` under the `Color Conversion` section when exporting a PDF? Will that be enough?

Hi @mttplbkp , I assume you have document designed for print that has mixed color spaces, and want a version for screen viewing. If that’s the case you can convert everything to sRGB by setting the Output tab’s Destination to sRGB, but for web viewing you might also flatten the PDF by setting Compatibility to Acrobat 4. If you leave transparency live, and are using blending modes with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your question, there's no need to change anything in your document. Simply change your PDF export options for Output to Convert to Destination and set your destination for sRGB. You should also include Destination profile.

However, MY question is why you are wanting to do this. This day and age, particularly with a mixed colorspace document, the best approach is to export a PDF with "No Color Conversion" with profile tags included, and let the printer's RIP deal with conversion later. For mere viewing, it doesn't change a viewer's experience to look at a document with multiple spaces. The only benefit to changing to RGB in that scenario is that RGB images take up less space in the file than CMYK images, hence a slightly smaller file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be a bit more blunt than Brad, you should not be using CMYK images at all. Trying to convert CMYK to RGB is like putting an egg back in its shell after you make an omelet. You've already pretty much destroyed the RGB data and you're not going to get it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mttplbkp , I assume you have document designed for print that has mixed color spaces, and want a version for screen viewing. If that’s the case you can convert everything to sRGB by setting the Output tab’s Destination to sRGB, but for web viewing you might also flatten the PDF by setting Compatibility to Acrobat 4. If you leave transparency live, and are using blending modes with the Transparency Blending Space set to CMYK, there could be significant changes in color appearance in a web browser. Check Simulate Overprint if you want the conversion to imitate print output.

Screen Shot 2.png

Also, the default PDF/X-4 preset designed for offset printing, exports document CMYK with no profile, and uses the Output Intent Profile for the simulation preview in AcrobatPro. I don’t think any current web browsers see the Output Intent, so if you are using native InDesign CMYK colors and Swatches those colors might change in appearance with a PDF/X-4 export with no color conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here are some examples of live transparency problems in a browser. InDesign on the left with the Transparency Blend Space set to CMYK, and using the Difference Blend mode. Exported to sRGB with live transparency—AcrobatPro (center), Chrome (right):

Screen Shot 3.png

The same file exported to sRGB flattened:

Screen Shot 4.png

And an export to default PDF/X-4 for print:

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines