Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign file Exported to PDF printing incorrectly

New Here ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

Using the Adobe preset for Letter sized paper, I have created a 189 page book that, when exported to PDF, looks great on screen. The pages face each other; everything looks great. However, when I go to print it (as a test before I send this document to a professional printer), no matter what settings I use on the printer itself, the document prints out as a landscape snapshot of the two page spread, rather than as each page in turn.

I have turned off the printer's "Auto" select feature and selected "portrait," and all I get is this landscape nonsense. Thoughts?

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Export as Spreads selected in your export settings by a chance:

leor_0-1714954752526.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no settings under Export. I click it, and it exports automatically. Where would I find the export settings?

I found "spreads" only under the Print function in Indesign itself?

Myetel_0-1714955123607.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops sorry, you're printing not exporting.

So yes that would be Spreads setting in the Print dialog - which is not selected, so there must be something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no. I DID export it to PDF, and then attempted to print the resultant PDF. That's where the issue arises.

Printing in InDesign itself works perfectly, it's portrait as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've taken a peek at the Adobe PDF Presets, and opening the General tab there shows:

Myetel_0-1714956381930.png

Spreads are off there, too. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no. I DID export it to PDF, and then attempted to print the resultant PDF. That's where the issue arises.

Printing in InDesign itself works perfectly, it's portrait as intended.

By @Myetel

I don't understand then. Where are you printing your PDF from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF is being printed from Acrobat Reader.

If it helps, Acrobat Reader thinks the pages are 11x17, even though in InDesign, they're 2 page spreads of Letter size each. *head desk*.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say your pages are showing as facing pages, that's in InDesign and not in the PDF, correct?

Also, what are your print settings in Acrobat. e.g. You haven't selected Multiple or Booklet by accident? Is the preview in the print dialog corrcet? i.e. showing a single page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your printer will likely want a pdf with single pages, not spread pages. Export from InDesign as single pages with bleed and crop marks, unless the printer requests no crop marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines