• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file won't unlock even after deleting the .idlk file

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book file with 2 documents in it open.  One of those documents has a locked file.  InDesign is spinning & spinning & spinning.  Can't access anything.  If I force-quit from the task maanger, I can delete the locked file from file manager.  But when I open the program again, the book file automatically opens, and it opens that locked file again, which still shows up as locked in the book file.  So therefore I can't delete the locked file from the file manager because the file is open. I have to close InDesign, but it won't even let me close because it's spinning & spinning & spinning, and the only way to close is to force-quit.

This is a nightmare from which I cannot escape.

I can't even take a screen shot, that's how disabled InDesign is right now.  What do I do?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

OK, the Recovery folder is at C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 16.0\[your installed language]\Caches\InDesign Recovery

This is, as I said, a HIDDEN folder so you need to go to the view tab in File Explorer and check the little box on the ribbon to show hidden files. You can also click on File in File Explorer and set your search and view options to show hidden files and search system directories (and Windows will scream at you that you shouldn't do either, which is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close InDesign, then go to the Recovery folder in your user profile (this is going to be a hidden folder, and if you tell us your OS and version of ID, someone will help you find it) and delete the recovery data. That should allow the application to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can at least now take a screenshot.

Here's a screenshot showing the book file, with a lock next to the filename, which is also open on my machine.  It's not even allowing me to close the file.  The whole program locks up, spins & spins & spins, and all I can do is force-quit, which only makes the problem keep happening. Even if I delete the Lock file from the file manager, when I restart InDesign, it automatically opesn the file and creates another locked file.

julietw99713499_0-1630360477715.png

Windows PC, InDesign 2021, from the cloud.  Did a search on the word Recovery in my file manager, and it came up with no results.

julietw99713499_1-1630360784963.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, forgot to say Windows 10 on the PC, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the Recovery folder is at C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 16.0\[your installed language]\Caches\InDesign Recovery

This is, as I said, a HIDDEN folder so you need to go to the view tab in File Explorer and check the little box on the ribbon to show hidden files. You can also click on File in File Explorer and set your search and view options to show hidden files and search system directories (and Windows will scream at you that you shouldn't do either, which is pure BS as long as you don't go around deleting stuff you shouldn't).

Once you can see it, empty the folder.

Now also try deleting the .idlk file from the folder where your locked file lives (that file must be closed to do this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter,

I've have the same issue, the file is corrupted i I cant open it.

I've tried to clear recovery file and also deleted lock file.

The file won't open. 

Do you have any ditional solutions?

TY, BR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try opening "As a Copy"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it.

I've uploaded the file, feel free to try to open in 😄

I dont know what to do anymore, except creating the file from scratch :///

TY, BR

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploaded where? You must return to the forum to add an attachment.

What's your OS? there are a couple of tools that sometimes work, along with a recovery service (paid) from Markzware and Adobe itself has a recovery service, but you may have a significant wait. Send to idfile@adobe.com

On Windows you can try the tool you'll find at INDDRecovery — a program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents 

Lots of additional general info at Troubleshoot damaged InDesign documents 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

inddrrecovery didn't work either.

I'll try to send it to idfile@adobe

I anything I'll recreate the file from scratch, it doesn't have so many pages.

I'm on WIN11, the document was in InD24 version, and the problem occured with win update (auto restart and update during the night)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a great idea to leave InDraign files open when the computer is idle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well they were saved 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and yet...

Do you have backup (dumb question -- if you did you wouldn't be trying to recover). Lots of users here swear by using a dropbox folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or Onedrive. They both keep versions each time you save making rolling back (even if you delete the file) a one-click procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I store all my project on the cloud, but not localy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines