• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign files won't open from my external drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there! I had a problem when taking out my external drive to my other computer at work and the 2 Indesign files I was working on previously won't open. I keep getting the error: "cannot open the file. Adobe Indesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

I made sure to close the whole application before taking out my external drive. I repaired the external just in case and still didn't work. I worked so much on these files, can anyone help?

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried copying them to local hard drive? Do they open on the other computer?

BTW, I cannot recommend this workflow at all. You're far better off using Dropbox, OneDrive or another cloud storage/sync service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do not open on both computers and I copied it to the local drive and still doesn't open. Is it corrupted? And it's just those two Indesign files.

I will start working off a cloud then though. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure sounds that way but without seeing the files it's impossible to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SaraNBMAA

Making sure that InDesign is closed isn't enough - I don't know what is the correct procedure on Mac - but on Windows, you have to "eject" drive from the system - either using icon near the Clock - or by selecting option from the context menu for the drive - so contents of the buffor / cache will be saved to the drive. 

You can't just unplug the connector. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, that's super helpful to know! I will try to wait after closing everything to properly eject so I don't get that error "files are still open".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@SaraNBMAA

You can't just "wait" - you need to force the disconnection via the menu I've mentioned - you should get a message that it's save to disconnect or check the same menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines