Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Flashing Screen When Moving Objects

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using indesign on my 14inch macbook pro apple m1 monterey. Each time I move an object the artboard & background workspace flashes. I have checked and both my indesign & macbook softwares are up to date. 

I have noticed it seems to happen when I drag the indesign window from my main macbook screen to my seperate monitor. That seems to activate the glitch and then it flashes each time I move an object on both my macbook & monitor screen.

Hoping theres a way to fix this thanks

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Problem is fixed in Sonoma 14.3 released January 22.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 112 Replies 112
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This worked for me too! By ticking GPU back resolved the issue!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too in Sonoma Running the 18.5 INDD update

GPU is unticked

Overprint is unchecked

Display Performance is "typical"

I need the rulers, so there has to be a fix where you can actyally use the tools you need.

This is frustrating for me, but is a potential neurosensitivy issue for people that could be triggered by this. 

Adobe...what is the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Minnepolitan : The fix is to downgrade to Ventura as InDesign doesn't officially support Sonoma yet.

You may find more info in this thread and the links there:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-screen-bug/td-p/14119986

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What works for me:
After a major OS update I always perform a clean install. Actually I work with Indesign daily on my Mac Studio M1 and my MBP M1 and never experienced a flickering window, Intel or ARM processor.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible fix is reported here (set Live Screen Drawing to Immediate):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-sonoma-14-0-and-adobe-creative-suite.2404861/post-3258619...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign Flashing Screen still present on 18.5 on M2 MacBook Air - very frustrating. Hide rulers seems to work, but this really needs to resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, even in InDesign release 19.0 the white screen flashing persists. I found it can happen occasionally even without the rulers. Very disappointing. Adobe, please fix this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it may turn out to be an Adobe bug to fix, this happened only when the operating system changed, so keep an open mind...this may well be Apple's bug to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the solutions below have worked for me. Has anyone found any other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you've turned off rulers? You've enabled GPU Performance? You've rolled back to Ventura?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get back to Ventura as I'm on a company machine and they won't allow it, but yes, I tried the other two options. However, I finally updated INDD and it's gone! So I guess it was fixed in the newest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of INDD did you update to that resolved it? I thought I was on the latest and it still happens (if I don't turn off the rulers). I can't go back to Ventura either, I'm on a company computer and they say it will wipe my hard drive. ummm nope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my INDD is updated to version 19.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem every time I click the mouse, but unticking GPU performance didn't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then turn off the rulers or role back to Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh weird. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, rolling back to ventura was the only thing that really worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating to OS Sonoma 14.1 and InDesign v19.0 has seemed to help significantly with this issue — even with the rulers on! Will report back if this changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now November 2023 and this annoying problem has still not been solved. This week's update has even exacerbated the problem. Now parts of the document are completely hidden when you try to select text. You have to hide the rulers to be able to work at all. But we need the rulers!!!

Jesus Christ, what are those guys at Adobe actually doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm running Adobe InDesign (Latest verison 19.0.1) on an iMac, intel processor i5, and the screen also flashes white, sometimes when selecting text and sometimes when zooming, or moving from page to page.

I am tired of swiching rulers on and off and GPU performance on and off and restarting. Bearly a work around. 

This only started to happen AFTER updating to macOS Sonoma. 
Lets hope they fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If by "they" you mean Apple, then yes, I hope so. If by "they" you mean Adobe, well, you might be waiting quite a while. If your setup supports it, I've seen reports that enabling GPU Performance in your InDesign preferences can also help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MacBookPro M2 and when I go to Preferences - GPU Performance, the options are unchecked without the possibility of marking me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you'll have to disable the rulers in InDesign or roll back to Ventura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the screen flashing issue with Adobe InDesign version 19.0.1 on my Mac Mini M1, which is running MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1. This problem began after updating to the new MacOS version, and I didn't encounter it prior to this update.

Here are the specifics of my setup:

• Computer: Mac Mini M1
  • Operating System: MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1
  • InDesign Version: 19.0.1
  • Additional Setup: I use DisplayLink software to run two additional monitors. (updated that software today, no change)

The Mac Mini has the GPU option grayed out/not supported. Rulers on or off has no effect. Tried all the Display Performance/General preferences tricks mentioned here. Everything is 100% udpated. Cannot roll back (company computer). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines