Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Flashing Screen When Moving Objects

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using indesign on my 14inch macbook pro apple m1 monterey. Each time I move an object the artboard & background workspace flashes. I have checked and both my indesign & macbook softwares are up to date. 

I have noticed it seems to happen when I drag the indesign window from my main macbook screen to my seperate monitor. That seems to activate the glitch and then it flashes each time I move an object on both my macbook & monitor screen.

Hoping theres a way to fix this thanks

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Problem is fixed in Sonoma 14.3 released January 22.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unticking GPU Performance under the GPU Performance tab in InDesign preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Unticking GPU Performance fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does windows have any fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the opposite - it was unticked, but ticking it resolved the issue!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me! I unclicked it and it worked. So glad to find answers when these things happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my iMac to Sonoma 14.0 and the flashing got worse. 

I went into Indesign preferences and ticked the GPU Performance tab and it solved the problem.

I guess Apple did something to the new operating system that solved the original problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also updated my14 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max to Sonoma 14.0, and the flashing came back. (Prior to 14.0, I was getting a flashing screen, and unchecking the box resolved it.) This time, checking the "GPU Performance" box in InDesign > Preferences > GPU Performance resolved the flashing screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me after the Sonoma 14.0 update — any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should mention that it's really still prevalent in Overprint Preview mode, but the GPU Performance did help with the normal mode flashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh you're right @Rachel.at.HeardCreative.

With GPU Checked: I switched over to Overprint Preview, and now when I use the marquee tool, the screen turns white when I am drawing a box with the selection or direct selection tool. If I turn off Overprint Preview, the screen no longer turns white when drawing a box.

If I uncheck GPU, then I get a white screen when selecting with the marquee tool whether Overprint Preview is on or off.

For now, the only thing I can figure out is to turn on GPU, and avoid overprint preview... which isn't ideal to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found that with Overprint Preview on, the problem goes away when I turn off rulers. (View > Hide Rulers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Winner, winner! That did work! Thank you so much for that fix @CoffeeBreath. Annoying, but a good workaround until something is done on the back end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks go to Oles26013932k96q. They mentioned the rulers thing in a comment from earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoffeeBreath Thanks for sharing these solutions! Agree with @Rachel.at.HeardCreative 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me as well. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That also worked for me. thank you! 

I had also recently updated to Sonoma, and InDesign 2024, and I started getting this annoying white flicker when attampting to edit anything, especially text. Turning GPU off didn't fix it. But turning Rulers off did fix it. 
Let's hope this is ironed out by devs soon. 

Thank you all for sharing advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off rulers really improved things. GPU performance does not work as my LG monitor does not seem to be recognised by the preference system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me too! The GPU Performance box is grayed out. It is the internal M2 chip on the new Macs that is no longer supported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100%!!! Turn off your rulers - use them only when necessary. Flashing stops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem since updating to Sonoma. Checked and unchecked GPU performance. When Overprint preview mode is selected, I still get a white screen when using the selection tool.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines