• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign for Windows opening files as Read Only when OpLocks disabled on network share

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2024 Sep 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign for Windows (2023 v18.4 and 2024 v19.5 tested) seem to open files as Read Only when the SMB network share those files reside on have OpLocks (Opportunistic Locks) turned off. InDesign for Mac does not have this problem with same share/protocol to file.

The behavior for InDesign for Windows is when you open the file, it creates its IDLK file, then quickly deletes it and file is open as Read Only, making file saves a workflow nightmare. OpLocks must be disabled to accomodate another app (Revit). 

No other app seems to have this problem with OpLocks disabled. Is there a workaround or solution to keep OpLocks off on a network share and still have our InDesign for Windows users be able to open their INDD files normally?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2024 Sep 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - a few people reported problems working from the server and InDesign opening files are Read Only.

So your post might be the answer to their problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read quite a few reports of Read Only files throughout the years but this particular one is specific to at least my environment, which is where we had to turn off OpLocks. I'm wondering if Adobe will do anything about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was always suggesting network latency / lag as a problem - but your case might be much more relevant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if we get more reports after others try turning off OpLocks perhaps Adobe might consider doing something about it.

For us, it is definitely InDesign creating and dropping the IDLK files immediately when it detects there are no OpLocks on the share available. I can see the IDLK files it creates when file is open, then quickly deleted before the file opens Read Only. Turn on OpLocks on the server and InDesign happily opens the files as Read/Write. Moved the file to an old macOS High Sierra Server via SMB and no problem there. Although Apple's implementation of SMB is practically non-configurable, Windows reports that both are speaking SMB 2.1 dialect. I'm not interested in moving backwards or testing Revit on that server though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nicolas_dis,

Thank you for reaching out-I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with InDesign opening files as Read Only on Windows. I understand how frustrating this can be, especially when it disrupts your workflow.

The issue you're describing with Opportunistic Locks (OpLocks) being disabled is indeed known to cause challenges with file handling in certain network environments. Unfortunately, InDesign relies on OpLocks to manage file access, which is why you're encountering this problem on Windows, while Mac users do not.

Some potential workarounds:
1. Enable OpLocks Temporarily: If possible, enable OpLocks while working in InDesign and disable them again when using the other app (Revit). Although this isn't ideal, it may allow you to avoid the Read Only issue.

2. Local Copy: Consider copying the INDD file to a local drive for editing and then saving it back to the network share once your edits are complete. This will help you avoid the Read Only problem and ensure that your work is saved correctly.

3. Consider Network Configuration: If possible, work with your IT team to explore if there's a way to configure the network share to accommodate both applications without disabling OpLocks.

I understand these are not perfect solutions, but I hope one of them might help mitigate the issue. Please let us know if you need further assistance-we're here to help!

Thank you,  
Abhishek Rao  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abhishek, thanks for your reply. It confirms my tests. The server in question is a NAS from Synology. I'm curious if Windows Server has this problem as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @nicolas_dis,

Thank you for the update. I understand your curiosity about whether Windows Server might exhibit the same issue.

Generally, Windows Server configurations are more flexible and may offer different options for handling OpLocks compared to a NAS system.

It might be helpful to test the behavior on a Windows Server environment if you have access to one. This could provide insights into whether the problem persists or if it can be addressed through server-specific settings.

If you do test this or have more questions, feel free to share your findings or reach out. We’re here to help!

Thank you, 
Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines