• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign freezes all the time when making PDF

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working with 16.4 version on Catalina. Restarted with com/ctrl/alt/shift but same trouble ! 

I get these window pop-ups - have to do a forced quit and restart and get those windows back.

After doing 'yes' all pages are back filled-in and the look normal but afterwards I can't make the PDF.

See attachments please. Thanks for any feedback. (I'm from Belgium - Dutch) 

Sscreen2.pngsreen1.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

IT's DONE! 

I thought and if I try with one page? ...

All PDF's were made one by one and afterwards stick together again in one global file.

Why ID prints all the separative pages and not the whole book is a mystery !

It cost me hours and hours searching and searching and without the help of Peter I don't know what I would have done...so many thx again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do open another ID document I get the ID-document where I asked for and that's OK too, but Indesign opens also that corrupt file again and ask the same thing: A5-brochre couldn't be found....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the following steps:

[1] Quit InDesign.

[2] Hunt down a *.idlk file that falsely states that the corresponding document is still open.

It should be in the same folder of that document InDesign cannot find.

And then remove the *.idlk file.

[3] Trash your InDesign cache. See where you can find this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

When on Mac OS you should see a Version 17.0 folder in:

/Users/[User Name]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/

Remove that Version 17.0 folder entirely.

[4] Restart InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback but (sorry) I don't see or find any files or maps in my library as explained in your link. I've allready deleted the .idlk files (there were two of them).screen3.pngscreen4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also look for the HIDDDEN InDesign Recovery folder and empty it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did'nt find any Recovery folder... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as I had to have that PDF for printing that brochure I've simply did an uninstall and reinstall InDesign 2022 afterwards and the problem was also fixed that way.

Thanks for the people who gave a feedback, sorry I must have a strange Mac Pro as I didn't find any of the links proposed with spotlight but all's well that ends well.  

Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, it's hidden. Google how to show hissen files and folders on your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry once more ! I must be a bad seeker. THX again !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOOps back to the start !!!! 

I've thought that Acrobat did the job but the file crashed again.

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-01 om 10.45.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it help if I make a whole new document and copy those pages into that one? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Murphy is in the house...

another font problem now after the upgrade I suppose...

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-01 om 10.54.14.pngSchermafbeelding 2021-11-01 om 10.55.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until FonAgent issues an update you'll need to either stop using it (my advice -- font managers are historically the cause of many a problem in InDesign) or roll back ID to the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possible strategy for eliminating the use of a font manager is to put the required fonts into a Document Fonts folder in the same folder as your .indd file. Fonts in that folder will be available only to files in the parent folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter thanks for staying with me here.

hm, I've made a package so everything is allready in the same folder but still the PDF won't work.

As I don't find those links I don't know what I still can do here...

If I open the file on another Mac could that work?

This my user Library - the other one can bee seen above in this tem

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-01 om 11.19.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Windows user, but apparently on Mac you can press Cmd + Shift + . (period) to show hidden files and folders. Did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Peter, I've started up Indesign and immediately com-alt-ctrl-shift as said above here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not waht I was asking (though since you mention it, did you get the prompt to replace the prefs?). I was asking if you showed hidden files and folders to locate your caches and recovery folder, which are not affected by the startup sequence for resetting prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did all that and I ahd the question if I wanted to delete prefs. but still the same - keeps on running if I ask for a PDF and I have to do a forced stop, can't even quit afterwards...

.Schermafbeelding 2021-11-01 om 17.34.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find and delete the Cache folder as Uwe suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you watching the Background Tasks panel to see where it hangs?

Or, better yet, disable background tasks completely.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find and delete the Cache folder as Uwe suggested?

No as I can't find anything of any Adobe program in both libraries, general nor user.

So I give up, it's all too technical for me...

I'll take the file to a college with Indesign and make my PDF overthere I suppose that will work.

Thanks a lot for your patience Peter! You've been very kind!

user.pnggeneral.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are in Finder looking at your user library Press Cmd + Shift + . (period) keys and you should see the hidden folders. Same for the Bibliotheek folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, while in the Finder, just hold down the Option key and go to the Go menu. Library will be listed as long as the Option key is held down. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi that's seems to work finally see all those files : caches etc... and now?  I suppsoe the hidden ones I can't see? 

Now i have to delete the content of the Indesign Cache - I have 2 of them, version 16 (must be the old one) and this one (17). Now I must be back in business? 

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-01 om 20.10.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines