Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign freezes at startup "Executing startup services..."

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My InDesign stops loading at the startup panel at the "Executing startup services..." - and then nothing happens. This panel is open till I close the process in the task manager. I haven't opened it in about 2 weeks and back then it worked just fine.

I have Windows 10 with the newest update and Adobe Indesign CC 2 13.0.1. I have been troubleshooting for the last 3 hours and have tried everything.

So if anyone had the same problem and could help me that would be awesome.

If you need further information I'll try my best to provide them.

Greetings

Anna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

I have reset my computer now and it works again. But clearly something with the windows apple programs doesn't go well with the creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow your post has been marked "Assumed Answered". If you want people to respond you will have to change its setting to "Not Answered".

That being said have you tried the following?

Trash your preferences.

To do so:

ou can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Uninstall and reinstall.

To do so:

In the app section of your Creative Cloud desktop app click on the “V” next to the app’s (InDesign) name and choose the “Uninstall” option from the pull-down menu that appears. After you’ve run the uninstall then use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems  . Then reinstall the program through the Desktop app. Before you reinstall, once again trash all preference files to make sure that your install is completely clean. Then launch InDesign and see if the problem persists.

Also you mentioned that it had been a couple of weeks since you opened the program. The most recent update of Windows 10 has caused problems for many people so your problems may be related to the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I already tried that amongst other things. Unfortunately I can't unmark it as somehow resolved. At least I don't find a option, it's my first time in the forums.

I marked it as resolved because I thought I found the cause of the problem which was to uninstall all Apple programs I installed last week. After I deinstalled iTunes, indesign started but the problem has only shifted. Now indesign starts but only the program window itself and the menu bar is on the screen. Can't click anything, no panels and have also to close the process to exit the program.

I also have deinstalled indesign by itself, indesign and all other adobe programs I had installed, deinstalled the creative cloud, did run the creative cloud cleaner tool. Also did I install an older version. As I said I tried everything I read on the support site from adobe as well as some other stuff users recommended in the forums for similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok after deinstalling ALL apple programs I am at the start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all the most up to date version of InDesign is 13.1 (your original post said 13.0.1). Make sure that you are updated to that. Also how old is your computer? I am not a Windows user but I do know that Microsoft is constantly updating that OS so what was working before the latest update may not be working correctly now. So if your computer is older it may not be handling the update well. Check with Microsoft as to what the system requirements are for the latest Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I read that wrong my Indesign is at version 13.1. At least I think so because I can't start it to check. But at the dropdown menu I could install 13.0.1, 13, and so on. My Computer is 3 months old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset my computer now and it works again. But clearly something with the windows apple programs doesn't go well with the creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that were true then all Windows users would have the same problem—which is not the case. I'm really glad you're up and running again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, well, I, for instance, have the exactly same problem... an I am very angry about all these repeatedly occorring problems because I expect something to work without any shenanigans if I'm forced to pay for an abonnement like Adobe wants me to! A software developer like ADOBE should expect hardware / system update changes or people with computers not bought 2 days ago and react accordingly, not making his customers desperately look for answers in online troubleshoot boards! I don't have time for that, I WORK with Adobe programs. It may be appropriate for weekend-"artists" or hobby-"designers" who just want to make their hair look nicer in photoshop or "design" a birthday card for daddy to happily browse possible solutions for problems which shouldn't exist in the first place at all, it is not for professionals. Solve your software problems, THEN charge for the programs. I suspect more and more that I have to pay for some kind of Beta-Version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ps: sorry for typo. i am currently on my smartphone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines