• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign freezes when selecting the file menu

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to InDesign CC 2015 and find that when I have a file open and select the file menu, InDesign Freezes. It has also been freezing when trying to launch InDesign

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the recent files to 0 seems to have solved this issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are an absolute legend - setting the recent files in Preferences to '0' fixed the problem. Still have wifi turned on and InDesign is no longer freezing when I access the File menu. I couldn't be happier. Thank you so so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the 'Recently used items' to 0 (zero) in the Preferences Panel solved the issue for me.

Screenshot at sep. 29 10-47-20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah thats worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, same problem with my InDesign CC too (Mac), it's making life prrrrrrretty slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. And concur with other comments in the thread where it's a networking issue. Only a problem for me at home. No issues at work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Connecting to the server via VPN seems to solve the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news from Adobe on a fix for this?

Currently stuck even trying to open the preferences to set recent items to zero.

Looks like a prefs reset again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Adobe MAX this week a newer version of InDesign was demoed. However, no release date was mentioned. So perhaps not too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and find if I turn my wifi off everything works fine. I'm having competing signal issues with my neighbor and his guest network login causes a lot of issues interrupting the connection. Some of CC's new features are connection dependent and thus the problem. If I turn wifi back on everything will work fine until I need to run any kind of a file command. Then I just turn wifi off and on again and InDesign becomes responsive right away.

Only InDesign is freezing, Illustrator and Photoshop are fine but this really, really sucks when working from home. Dear InDesign developers, please allow for connection latency for those of us that have to compete with the 4 four networks that our neighbor insists on running in channel 1,6 and 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. But when I turn off Wi-fi the problem goes away immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try to give permissions to Adobe Indesign Folders

Step 1:

In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.

Step 2:

In the Go To Folder dialog and type

~/Library

Click Go.

Step 3:

Open the Caches Folder > Select the InDesign folder >Right Click to select Get Info

• Unlock the Security lock in the bottom right hand corner

• Under Sharing and Permissions, Click the “+” to add User (yourself) will display under Name

• Under Privilege it will say Read Only, change this to Read & Write

• Then select the Settings Icon (cogwheel) and Select Apply to Enclosed Items

Step 4:

Open the Preferences Folder > Select the InDesign folder > Right Click to select Get Info

• Unlock the Security lock in the bottom right hand corner

• Under Sharing and Permissions, Click the “+” to add User (yourself) will display under Name

• Under Privilege it will say Read Only, change this to Read & Write

• Then select the Settings Icon (cogwheel) and Select Apply to Enclosed Items

**If you see your name there in the list then try providing access to enclosed items.

If that does not help then close InDesign and  try removing the version11 folder inside Indesign folder from both caches and preferences and then try to launch InDesign and check.

If that does not work, create root user on MAC and then try to launch the application and check the performance.

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

Thanks,

Nikhil Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikhil,

That sounds a lot more like a cure for the installer not setting the permissions, preventing InDesign from starting, not a cure for the File menu hang bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I agree with you . But i have seen issues with File menu with some of the users and if you launch application in root user, it works fine. In some of the case it was resolved by providing permissions to the preferences location or creating new user. It could be the issue with that particular user account or may be any background service conflicting.  That is why i want the user give it a try and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Nikhil Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens all the time. no idea why. For some in the studio it works well and for some it's just a nightmare to click on the 'File' menu option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found a quick workaround. Go into preferences->File Handling and set "Number of recent items to display" to 0.  The file menu now opens without a problem. Now go back, and set the preference back to what it was.  It continues to work because the recent list is totally cleared when you set it to 0.  So whenever this happens just do this simple procedure. It's a lot easier than resetting all the preferences.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to me too. It's not the first time an adobe program has choked trying to access a list of recent files. Looking forward to this bug being fixed, messes up my workflow a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌this never happened with quark xpress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm far from an adobe apologist, but to be far mac os would crash before quark ever had a chance to back then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

Well, with the new cc2015.2 update, this seems to be fixed.

I will keep an eye on it. Other things are now broken but thats another story!!

Cheers

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having similar issues here. Replacing the Prefs seems to work only part of the time. Other times it still hangs after doing that. VERY frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines