• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign help: Objects on pasteboard not moving with pages when pages are moved?

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, not sure if this is a forum for this kind of help... I use InDesign at work and very often I am opening and working in old documents used by others, so I sometimes come across settings I'm not used to that I don't know how to fix. 

I'm working in a document now and, when I have objects on the pasteboard next to a page, and I add or move the document pages, the objects stay put on the pasteboard exactly where they are, rather than moving with the page they are adjacent to. In other documents I have worked in, they shuffle along with the page, which is helpful when deciding on content for that page. 

Where can I go in settings to enable this? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Let's see.

If you move all pages of a spread you move the whole spread.

And along the elements on the spreads' pasteboard of course.

That's all to it, I think.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, I have not had to move all the pages in the spread for this. That's why I'm wondering if there is something else. 

In the past when I would add pages to the middle of the document, the pages would shift, and the elements would shift with it, both on the page itself and the pasteboard. Is there anyting else that would enable that to happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They must be on the master page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there anyting else that would enable that to happen?"

No.

"In the past, I have not had to move all the pages in the spread for this."

What version of InDesign exactly?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically AdobeIndesign 2022, but the document I opened was created in 2018 (possibly even earlier than that), so I'm not sure if the Indesign version it was created in would make any difference at all? I feel like it shouldn't but that's why I was wondering if it was a setting or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure that the pasteboards are "connected" to any one page. If you have spread 10-11 on the fifth pasteboard, and stick various working items off the page and on the pasteboard, and then add or move pages, the pasteboard items will remain on the same pasteboard even though the page contents move to another. At least, that's always been my experience.

Some page operations may move the whole set while others move only the page and its contents. If you insert pages, each new one comes with its own pasteboard and pushes the others forward with their associated page. But if you insert content that pushes page content down (from 10-11 to 12-13), the pasteboard items will remain where they are. That might explain any differences you're seeing.

And yes, this is exactly the right forum for these questions. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, okay so thank you for wording it this way as far as a new pasteboard being created when a new page is added— I just opened the document in question again and compared it with a different document, and this is exactly the difference that's happening. When I add a new page in the middle of the document in question, its own pasteboard is not created along with it. It just inserts the pages and the existing pasteboards stay put, with the objects on them. So is this a setting that can be changed somehow? Or could this document just be glitchy? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I just REREAD your comment and I understand what you're saying now. To be honest I am getting confused and second guessing my own past experience. 

Thank you very much everyone for weighing in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @defaultushj32ip9wa1 , unless a page item touches a page it doesn’t have a parent page, but it does have an associated spread. You can see this via scripting—if I select a page item on the pasteboard and run this, its parent page is null, but it has a parent spread:

var s = app.activeDocument.selection[0];
alert ("\rThis page item’s parent page is " + s.parentPage + "\r\r It‘s placed on spread " +  ((s.parent.index)+1))

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines