• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign hyphenation not working. UNACCEPTABLE!

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a major book project for more than a year, hundreds of hours of work are involved. Upon opening my document recently I have discovered my text will no longer correctly hyphenate, regardless of whether hyphenation is correctly applied. No hyphenation happening whatsoever. On or off.

A possible solution has been suggested in threads by people having the same issues: copying the text to another frame, applying the [Basic paragraph] style, copying back the text, then reapplying the correct styles. This means manually reworking projects to get hyphenation working again. 

Hyphenation is a basic function of InDesign. Stable typographic behaviour is a core function of this application. It should be rock solid. IT IS NOT.

Professionals are depending on the stability of this software for their livelyhoods, and paying for it. It would be so nice if ADOBE WOULD GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER. This sloppy performance is utterly unacceptable for professional software.

This is not the first time damage has been caused by bugs and instability, these issues are becoming more and more frequent. I DO NOT WANT WORKAROUNDS. I WANT SOFTWARE I CAN DEPEND ON FOR MY WORK.

TOPICS
Bug , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Have you tried saving the problem document as an IDML and reopening, and if that doesn’t work trashing your preferences and caches?

Can you share an example file via Dropbox or your CC account?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably you have backup copies of your book file.

You should regularly apply a Safe As to your InDesign document and incrementally rename the file (filename1a.indd, filename1b.indd and so on), this will clean up the crud that can build up and cause corruption.

By the way, this is a user-to-user support forum, you are not addressing Adobe on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Derek, I know, I know you‘re right. Adobe is not reading these. I just had to vent. And your tips are good. I already do  that, the versions. Have done for years, My projects have many tens of versions, down to the X.XX, for a myriad of reasons, the least of which is fundamental instability of core instability of documents. 
Ik will go back to a version that stull has hyphenation, and then try to rework the changes. But still, this is an unacceptable level of instability in critical document integrity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide some more detail? (Possibly relevant, possibly not.)

What version are you opening your files with? Were the files created in an earlier version? Check the Document History if you are not sure. Your InDesign may have been automatically updated (several times, actually, over the course of a year).

Does hyphenation work (correct or otherwise 😛 ) in a brand new document?

Does changing the applied language of the text to any other language change the current hyphenation points? (It should, even if it's the "wrong" hyphenation. Changing the language back again should re-hyphenate the text.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, correct hyphenation is a requirement, not an option. What hyphenation dictionary are you using? (Prefs > Dictionary)

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried saving the problem document as an IDML and reopening, and if that doesn’t work trashing your preferences and caches?

Can you share an example file via Dropbox or your CC account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure that your Language option in the Character panel is as your text.×’×’×’.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!! I was not getting hyphenation at all. My imported text was all set to Australian english. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced exactly the same thing just before the deadline on a major project six months ago and am now experiencing the same problem again. It's driving me crazy! I'm an experienced user of InDesign and working with typography and I have tried EVERYTHING suggested in the thread here. Nothing works. Luckily I found a way - I tried moving all the pages from the document over into a new blank document - that solved the problem for me this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines