Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign icons resource

Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody,

InDesign has a host of onscreen symbols. When they appear, the mean something, but don't offer up a name or any reference in the Help file system.

For example, when you hover a type tool over a graphics frame, you get to see an icon of a small selection arrow along with an I-beam in a big dotted circle.

Where can I get that icon art? Is it buried somewhere within InDesign? There are many others I'm looking for as well.

Mike Witherell
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, does this icon have an official name? 

Type-Tool-Convert-to-Textframe.png

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not help for precise documentation purposes, but the crossbarred character in the center of the icon simulates what's known as a Chase Tool.

In old cold type lettersetting days, it was the tool you used to shove lead type together tightly before you locked it up in the printer's chase. Not technically the Adobe term, but a neat little bit of trivia to lay on your students while you are discussing what the tool does.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I remember using the quoin key to tighten the wedge quoins and other furniture within a chase to make a tight forme for letterpress. We had Heidelberg windmill presses along with some older Chandler presses used for making signs--one at a time. Man, that was a long time ago!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this one have an official name?

Frame-Selected-Icon.png

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no official name, how about the "Convert to Textframe" icon? And how about the "Frame Selected" icon?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of an official name so I think you can choose your own, Mike!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew I could count on you, Steve! I'm currently building a teaching thing and I'm taking the time to get the details right, if at all possible.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest we from this point forward call the first one the Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For documentation I've always taken screenshots (I use SnagIt to freeze the screen and that let's me get cursors). I'm sure those graphics are stored somehow in the app, but I don't know if it's in a way that's accessible to us.

As for naming, I don't believe those cursors really have official names. I normally say something like: when you hover over ____ you'll see this cursor, which indicates _____ (or something like that).

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for writing, Dan! I hope you are well.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines