InDesign Images Still Changing Size When Link Is Updated

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Frame-Fitting Options set to None and Auto-Fit is not checked
  • Make Content-Aware Fit the Default Frame Fitting Option is not checked
  • Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking is not checked

Yet STILL my images are changing size when the link is updated. What am I missing?

Thanks Community!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @gplumblee,

We are sorry to hear that. A few more details will be very helpful-

• Please share the version of InDesign and the operating system you're working on.
  • Have you tried saving your document to IDML and opening it as an InDesign document? Maybe that will get rid of any small corruption or oddity in the document. 
  • Does that happen with all files or with a specific file?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking is not checked

Perhaps it should be checked. Are the two images actually the same size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree

"Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking"

Very definitely it should be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys. I must've misread some of the posts. I will make sure Preserve Image Dimensions… is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I just checked and updated an image—and the percentage changed. I checked to make sure it was 100% beforehand, and after updating it, it was larger than 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..and you didn't change the image's dimensions/resolution at all?

ID remembers the physical pixel dimensions on the horizontal axis, so if you changed resolution, or cropped the image, that would affect what is says for percentage even if it imports exactly the same dimensions.

e.g. Place a 500x500 pixel (300ppi) image. size 100%

Via the links panel:

1. if you replace it with a 500x1000 pixel image, it will replace at 100%, but the extra image will be cropped off the bottom of the frame, since it maintains the horizontal dimension.

2. if you replaced it with a 400x500 pixel image, it will replace at 125%. It expands the 400 pixels to fit what the 500 original pixels previously occupied, and there will be now some image cropped off at the bottom.

As for changing resolution:

3. if you replace it with a 500x500 72ppi image, it will replace at 24%, as the pixel dimensions are the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are music and diagrams that may change in width and height with each round of corrections. I just want to update them then hit Command-Option-C to make the frame fit the image nso that nothing new is cut off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't really have a good option here. Unless your images are the same aspect ratio you are always going to have adjustments to make in the frame. InDesign will either remember the image scaling factor and apply it, or it will remember the scaled dimension and apply that.If the aspect ratio is the same, then remembering dimensions is probably the best option as your frames won't need to change and your images will all be the same size on the page. If the aspect ratio is changing, I think I would do as you have been and not check the box to remember dimensions.

As Brad has mentioned, if you have saved the same pixel dimensions with different resolutions when you bring them into InDesign they are going to be scaled to different factors, so if you are not using the remember dimensions option it is vital that all of your images be saved at the same resolution to have the same relative size on the page. In theory an object style for your frames that automatically fit frame to content would be the way to go, but InDesign doesn't yet seem to have that ability.

The images are music and diagrams that may change in width and height with each round of corrections. I just want to update them then hit Command-Option-C to make the frame fit the image nso that nothing new is cut off.

By @gplumblee

So what about that is not working? That does seem to be the right approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Peter and Brad. I usually will import by Media, which has a page-sized bounding box put in by the music sofware., and that works fine without size changes. But when I am adding multiple music examples and diagrams on a page, it is better to crop to the images so there is no overlap. I feel like this used to work well until recently, so I'm not sure what changed. I just have to remember to check the sizes. 

I also thought that Clearing Frame Fitting Options—assigned to a key stroke—would reset sizes to 100%, but that was not the case. Is there another reset command? Because currently I have to change to the Direct Selection Tool, go up into the properties at the top and double-click on the percentage. When there are lots of these imports, this process becomes inefficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines