• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign is not opening files!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so angry! I can't open a new file on Indesign or a file that I've previously created... I have a Mac os Mojave, and I always update my apps on creative suite... How comes?? What can I do? I relauched the computer but, nothing! I can't open my files! Thank you for replying... Have a nice day!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please elaborate what is happening exactly? Do you get any warnings or get any dialog as to why the files are not opening?

How are you opening - are you double clicking the files - or using File>Open from inDesign.

Is InDesign opening correctly or at all? 

Are menu items greyed out? 

Usually - something has gone awry with preference files

You can reset your preferences by launching InDesign and while holding down this set of instructions

The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, sorry I didn't really explained very well! So. I have a Mac, with MacOs Mojave, and I have a creative suite by adobe, always updated. I don't have any problems in opening files with photoshop or illustrator, but every now and then I have problems to open files with Indesign... And now my app is totally stuck.

I lauch the app to open a new file, I choose my settings to create a regular document, and then nothing happens. The app is still running, but it's like "I can't see", also because when I quit Indesign there's a pop up saying to me: "do you want to save the modifications you did on the document?", even if I didn't even "see" it! And the nightmare is I can't open files I created like one week ago, with the same very app. I open them or with double clic or with File >Open with Indesign. But nothing works! I already did the trick to reset the preferences, as I saw online, but even if I reset, nothing changes. I still can't open any Indesign files. Of course I relaunched the computer several times too. 

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I always update my apps on creative suite..." That sounds unwise. Updates should be carefully planned, with a fallback considered. But please tell us exactly what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I thaught it was wise to update apps! 😞 Sorry, I feel a little stupid now. I just replied, I'll copy and paste my answer here! 😜

So. I have a Mac, with MacOs Mojave, and I have a creative suite by adobe, always updated. I don't have any problems in opening files with photoshop or illustrator, but every now and then I have problems to open files with Indesign... And now my app is totally stuck.

I lauch the app to open a new file, I choose my settings to create a regular document, and then nothing happens. The app is still running, but it's like "I can't see", also because when I quit Indesign there's a pop up saying to me: "do you want to save the modifications you did on the document?", even if I didn't even "see" it! And the nightmare is I can't open files I created like one week ago, with the same very app. I open them or with double clic or with File >Open with Indesign. But nothing works! I already did the trick to reset the preferences, as I saw online, but even if I reset, nothing changes. I still can't open any Indesign files. Of course I relaunched the computer several times too. 

Thank you for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing  might be the document is minimised.

Press Command-Control-F

If that doesn't work then perhaps try 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

If that hasn't worked you can roll back to a previous version of InDesign

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Eugene!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! ❤️ 

I've tried everything and the first two tips didn't work out, but rolling back to a previous version of InDesign was THE thing to do. Now I can open the app and open my documents. I'm so happy!

Thank you again and have a nice day! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines