• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign is unable to save file on server

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Team has a big problem with Indesign in our companies server environment (Windows Server) as it, after 15.13 Version, does not allow to overwrite files that has just been created. 

Is ther any bug fix available?

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds more like a server permissions issue. There are no, and there will not be, any updates for older versions of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are, however, newer versions if InDesign. Is there a reason you haven't updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, 

i went back to that old version because the hassle startet with the new ones. Before the 15.13 there was never a problem. BUT now the real struggle started with Big Sur, two ID Versions (that can't run parallel - ID2021 always crashes) and many new files that now have to be reversioned to be compatible with 15.13. to keep up the working process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, 

i went back to that old version because the hassle startet with the new ones. Before the 15.13 there was never a problem. BUT now the real struggle started with Big Sur, two ID Versions (that can't run parallel - ID2021 always crashes) and many new files that now have to be reversioned to be compatible with 15.13. to keep up the working process.

By @waserich

Sounds like a problem caused by Big Sur... I'm a PC user, so I don'ty keep up with all the apple bugs, but it seems to me there are a lot of  posts about issues that cropped up with updating to Big Sur, and you might want to do a forum search for similar threads to see if there are solutions. My guess is most issues are probably addressed in the latest updates (16.4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

definately no. The problem occured long time before Big Sur.

best regards

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be an issue with the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the answer is that easy, then the question would be "what did Adobe change in that issues between the 15.13. and the newest version to make the server go nuts?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clearer - I don't think it's an Adobe issue. 

I've had issues myself connecting to servers on various systems - it's not Adobe, I know that.

It is something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@waserich To test this out to see if it is a server or InDesign glitch, did you try overwriting files just created from any other non-Adobe software such as MS Word or Excel? And can you clarify when you say "files that has just been created" meaning it only happens with brand new InDesign documents or any flies you've created since v15.13? Can you also explain what the error message is you are getting? Could this be a permissions issue that your servers are rejecting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain,

i can work and save on all MS office files (old & new) on the server.
Files that just have been created - it's just like that:

1. Open Indesign

2. create new file/save

- the file appears in Indesign with the information, atop of the document, in bracets that it cannot be overwritten.

best regards

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, understood. If you haven't done this already, try running InDesign as an administrator. Close down everything and then navigate to this folder on your C drive: Program Files > Adobe > Adobe InDesign 2021 and find the .exe file. Right click and choose Run as Administrator. Launch InDesign again and see if you can now overwrite the files.

2021-08-30 10_02_08-Window.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain,

this sounds like a pc solution - is there something similar for the Mac world?

kind regards 

seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, you may follow the instructions given on this Apple support article to enable root user of your machine and try working on it. If you're working in a corporate environment, it may be restricted.

You may create a new administrator profile as suggested here as well as an alternative. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Like other community members, I'd also suggest you to check if there has been a new update on the server or change of protocols/permissions with your IT team. You also mentioned that parallel installed InDesign versions are crashing. Would you mind sharing version information?

Adobe InDesign 2020(v15.x) is not compatible with macOS Big Sur. You may find more information here about this.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

actually i got the 16.4 and the 15.1.3 installed.

Best regards

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines