• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign line spacing inconsistent between pages of a file although specs display consistency

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Line spacing between text blurbs is consistent on the page but inconsistent between the different pages. See screenshot "land Use" the line spacing is wider between paragraphs than in the screenshot "Hazards." In Hazards one paragraph return accomplishes a nice, tight line spacing but in :Land Use: I have to use two paragraph returns (just one does not give me a proper line break) but it's more than I want. If you compare the specs along the top of the page everything is the same (I think!). This file is also very old, probably ten years old. I've used the same file through all the updates. Now I've been asked to substantially change the sheets. My workflow is to copy a new page from the pages palette, copy the new text in notepad, then paste it in OR (since lots of text is repeated page to pate) copy and paste from one page to another. I have changed fonts a few times, now settled on Helvetica Lt Std throughout, manually applying bold and copying the subheads. I don't use styles because I was never able to really learn it (I know, I know) but I'm not a graphic artist and it's challenging for me. Has anyone enountered this problem? Thank you!

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a "problem".

You should use Styles.

Regardless, whoever did the text in Hazards has defined a spacing after each paragraph, while the text in Land Use does not. You are manually adding the spacing by adding a second paragraph return, which of course is the same leading size as your text and can't be any smaller. This is NOT .. the .. way to do this.

Click in the text of one of the paragraphs in Hazards, and examine the Paragraph settings (switch to the ¶ in the control panel at top right)... It will show a setting in the box for space after each paragraph (it will be a tiny icon of lines of text with an arrow pointng below it). It could be space above also, but based on teh age of the file, most people tend to add the spacing after paragraphs. Based on what I see, it's probably about 6 - 9 pt. This is how you need to apply similar spacing in your Land Use. yes, you could do this all manually, but WHY when you can easily define a style and simply apply it.

Look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much, I see what you mean, clicking on the paragraph return icon to get that info, thank you!Yes, I know I should use the styles, I have just never mastered it. I have access to Lynda.com tutorials but they have proliferated so extremely you have to wade through so many choices that I don't know where to begin. Can you or anyone else recommend an intro to styles teacher? Thanks again, I appreciate your patience and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you or anyone else recommend an intro to styles teacher?

By @e.cissy

There's a fair bit of superfluous "entertainment" in this clip, but it is worth enduring...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyOvGThHts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're gonna pay for free help, one way or another. I will take a look, thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'll love working with Styles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines