• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign <= CS6 ( old version on new OS )

Guide ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of running old versions of InDesign on new OS? Of particular interest is Windows 10.

Thanks.

P.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody else's experience is going to help you. Some will tell you it's fine, others will tell you it doesn't work. All you can do is try but you will be on your own. Running it in Win 7 compatibility mode might help but the further you get from the original release of Windows 10 with all of the updates, the bigger the crapshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use CS3 on Windows 10. It works without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Bob is correct, there are a LOT of us who still run CS6 and even earlier versions on Windows 10. You may need to run in windows 7 compatibility mode if you have any issues. The biggest problem is there are no longer any update downloads available from Adobe. My strategy was to install from an archived installer to get Windows to recognize the program and build the registry, then copy the application folder from my old Win7 setup and replace the one on Win10. So far it works faultlessly.

My suspicion is that most problems with compatibility are probably caused by maufacturers custom drivers and tweaks, so the more generic your PC the more likely you are to have no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add, when all else fails you can consider adding a Win7 virtual machine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi@Pickory ,

what's your particular issue?
I'm running InDesign CS6 and all other versions above on Windows 10 Pro.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

For me, it would be could I build a dev machine to compile plugins for CS5 upwards. Some of the boxes I have are getting rather old.

For the customers, they would like to use newer faster machines and keep their perpetual licence. 

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were you I would avoid giving any advice to clients on this beyond that you can't assure them of anything. BTW, newer machines are more likely to have Windows 11 on them which adds a new level of complexity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do has IDCS6 on Win10, it works, my previous work colleagues use it CS6 with WIN10, few my friends use it CS6 with WIN10. It not officially supported, but it works. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines