Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign MAC vs PC

Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in InDesign on a MAC.  My company wants me to switch to a PC. What are some reasons I may provide to stay on MAC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Acrobat has (used to have?) more functionality on a PC. Can't

remember what exactly, but there was something you couldn't do on a Mac,

IIRC.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luke, that's an Acrobat difference, nothing to do with ID. Last I knew, the Mac version of Acrobat didn't support Live Cycle, so was severely crippled for doing serious form work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting off topic for InDesign.

But, since I work a lot with Acrobat:

* Beginning with Acrobat XI Pro, you can now include Office files when opening or combining files in Acrobat. (Couldn't do this in earlier versions.)

* There are still no PDF Maker plug-ins for Office for the Macintosh, so things like hyperlinks and bookmark support from Word is not yet supported.

* LifeCycle Designer is now deprecated in Acrobat Pro (isn't even included by default with the Windows version anymore). Adobe wants people to either use Acro forms (the kind we can now create from InDesign) or use FormCentral with is a cloud-based method of creating forms which works with both Mac and Windows. So Mac is now fully part of the forms world.

So it's not as bad as it used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware. The statement I replied to refered to all Adobe apps. having the same functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are at least some more differences not mentioned in this thread:

• InDesign on Windows will have trouble running AppleScripts, while on the Mac you'll miss VBScript and friends. Of course most scripting today is in ExtendScript, but if you happen to have a big library of AppleScripts around, or just prefer that language ...
  • The Mac uses the Cmd key instead of the Ctrl key. The Ctrl key is still understood as modifier key, this doubles the available combinations for keyboard shortcuts. At least when I last tried, the Windows key was not available for that purpose, even worse it would just get in my way on accidental hit.
  • In Windows you can address various UI elements, open menus and so forth with Alt+(key) shortcuts. Alt+E opens the Edit menu, on the Mac it is unassigned. This can be seen as advantage (less mousing) or disadvantage (even fewer shortcuts available for own combinations).
  • When you float the document windows, on Windows the application frame will still hide other applications. You can get close if you undock the palettes, the toolbar and then shrink the application frame, but you can't completely turn it off.
  • When floating outside the application frame, Windows palette windows won't hide on deactivate.
  • On the other hand the Mac's application bar is mostly a blank waste of screen real-estate, while on Windows it is merged with the menu. Yes, on the Mac you can separately turn it off.
  • As I haven't yet seen the latest versions side by side, can anybody confirm that the Windows equivalent to "Retina" resolution really is equivalent?
  • Same with trackpad gestures such as double-finger scrolling or zooming?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started using a PC and the differences are immediately obvious, for one, the app freezes I suppose bec it is not amped up enough PC and cannot render hi quality images, I get the grey box when I select Object menu/ display performance/high. Have not seen that since the beginnng of time bec I have used macs. Also computer crashes at LEAST once a day and then there are the dreaded updates and restarts that take forever.

Everything just takes longer on the crap PC.

Being too cheap to buy decent hardware is a major red flag to potential employees, in the end they do not actually save money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Penny wise, but I will add that this is most certainly not a Mac vs Windows thing. It's low end hardware and you get what you pay for. You need a solid state drive, 16 GB of RAM and 7-8th gen i7.

I have no issues running any of this stuff on my desktop (self built) or my laptop (HP Spectre x360 with the above specs)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We run multiple Macs and Windows workstations/laptops in my studio, and the features are identical across the platforms.

But we find the Windows workstations have fewer crashes than the Macs, and operate a bit faster as well. (I know I know, it's heresy to say that in this Forum!).

You do need good quality equipment on either platform; crappy equipment won't give an InDesign user the speed and stability needed.

And go into Windows Settings to control when updates are downloaded and installed. You can schedule them to happen after work hours: How to Change Windows Update Settings - dummies   Don't skip Windows updates, but do control when they happen.

Seconding BobLevine​ 's hardware specs above (#31) FOR EITHER PLATFORM, not just Windows. Also needed, especially on Windows workstations/laptops:

• Good, fast graphic's card with as much VRAM you can get (minimum we recommend today is 2 GB, but 4 GB is better). This will speed up the processing of what you see on your screen.
  • Graphics card that will also let you plug in a second monitor.

I often buy "gamers" quality laptops for my designers because they have the RAM, processor speed, and graphics capabilities for what designers need to do. Current models use NVIDIA GE Force graphics cards. Gaming Laptops | ROG - Republic Of Gamers - ASUS USA

They look like the muscle cars of laptops tricked out with flashing lights and keyboards, but my designers actually love that glitz. Makes "work" a bit more fun.

We also are very happy with MS Surface Pros, especially their power + portability and that incredible touch screen. Compare Surface Computers & Tech Specs | Find the Right Surface For You | Surface 

In any model of computer, Mac or Windows, you're looking at $1500-$3000 cost depending upon how far you deck it out.

—Bevi Chagnon

(former dealer for Apple, Asus, HP, and all the rest)

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I threw together a modest Windows machine a while back after my 2014 iMac started getting slow. I chose a 7800x, 32GB of RAM and a GTX 1070 GPU. Most importantly it has an m.2 SSD. Couldn't be happier with the performance. I even setup Windows 10 to look like my OSX desktop.

I find that it is 100% stable. Never had a crash, though my iMac has only crashed once or twice in years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We make a weekly magazine and some weekend newspaper supplements. Our network is not what it used to be (welcome to neocapitalism where we all have to work with less and less resources). Some of us in the layout gang use a mac and some of us use Windows 7 PCs. And you now what's the difference bewteen them? Zilch. Cero. Nada.

At home I use a MacBook Pro (enhanced with more RAM and an SSD disk, I am such an spoilt brat) and and one Windows 10 PC with more or less similar specifications. You now what's the difference? The same 0 again.

With the MacBook I have some trouble speedwise with the keyboard shorcuts but that's is because I use it less and I have not imposed myself to the discipline of that particular keyboard.

That said, keep alert if you use legacy plugins or scripts (even between versions of the same OS). There may be a rub. And if you are one of those that do not use extensions for their files just because, please, get used to them. It's dead easy.

It's 2019, pleazeeeee. forget the platform wars. They are not real.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to @Gusgsm

I'm amazed that this thread, started 6 years ago in 2013, is still going on.

END THE PLATFORM WAR!

Enough is enough. Just use whatever computer is provided at work because Mac or PC doesn't matter. What DOES matter is keeping your job!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup...and since it has completely run its course, I'm locking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines