• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign merge to envelope print issues

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to successfuly merge to an Indesign file that has an envelope format. It looks fine on the the screen. However when I print some of the addresses are cut off at the top. Not all of them, but it happens sporatically with some of the envelopes, not a pattern specifically. This has happened with several versions of Indesign; the current version is installed. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

I am thinking the problem is an issue between InDesign and my printer, but no clue why. When I use merge files to merge addresses from Excel into Word, those print just fine. The merge function in InDesign work fine for my full page forms, so that is not the problem. Just has an issue with envelopes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can we have somme screenshots? that helps a lot 😉

what are the setting for the text frame?

I'm sure it's in the text frame settings and if we can, also, had some screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it looks fine on the screen, which really makes this hard to figure out. Even printing to pdf looks fine, so it is not the text boxes. The individual envelopes with the top half of the 1st line cut off will sometimes print correctly if I go into that envelope and move the text box down. Other times it takes a carriage return to move the top line down for it to print correctly. The printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8715. About 10% of the envelopes do not print correctly with the top half of the 1st line cut off, but there is no pattern. It may print 10 correctly with one bad, or print 4 correctly with 2 bad. Just no rime or reason to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see if InDesign is the culprit, what happens when you export the data merge the indesign file to a PDF instead of a new InDesign file; and print from the PDF instead of the InDesign file?

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed to pdf, then printed some of the pdf envelopes. I ran into a similar problem, except that the bottom half of the last line was cut off instead of the top half of the 1st line when I printed from InDesign. I am thinking this might be a printer problem, but have not tried prep the envelopes in Word and printing from there. Certainly a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking the problem is an issue between InDesign and my printer, but no clue why. When I use merge files to merge addresses from Excel into Word, those print just fine. The merge function in InDesign work fine for my full page forms, so that is not the problem. Just has an issue with envelopes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem with my EPSON ET-4750. As a test I put a text box on the top right against the margin lines. I entered "1234567890" with a 16pt font.  The "567890" printed.  Like you, this only happens when I select envelope.  Microsoft Word prints the envelope fine.  I can print 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 borderless prints just fine.

An this used to work around 90 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines