• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign: Merging multiple text boxes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a way to merge multiple text boxes from an InDesign data merge into one text box. I read about an old script (inlineMerge) but it does not appear to work with the latest versions of InDesign. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're doing the data merge - why don't you just create 1 text frame and insert each data field to be merged?

Why are there multipe text frames to begin with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that Indesign Data Merge cannot do a "Next Record" in the same text box like Word can. If this is the case, would you tell me how this is done? (Thank you!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your impression is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen shot of waht you have and how you want to combine it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm setting up a glossary of terms. I've been given an excel doc with two columns (terms and definitions), so its a pretty basic multiple record data merge of information, with the term in a bold font and the definition in a regular weight font. After the data merge is complete, each "term: definition" is in its own text box (approx. 14 text boxes per page over 12 pages).

I was hoping to use the script inlineMerge to merge all the text boxes into one text box with all the copy flowing through it, but that script does not work with the newer versions of InDesign.

What I ended up doing was using Ajar Productions MergeTextframes script to merge text into 1 text box per page, then use the Rorohiko Text Stitch Plug-in to merge all the text boxes between pages. Just seems like a lot of work for a glossary that will need to be updated at intervals. I keep thinking there has to be an easier way to do this. Though the data merge font formating does save a ton of time, I wish there were a few less steps involved.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want the layout to look like?

You could bring in the Excel file as a table--or with a little find/change, have the term over the definition. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's going to be an 8.5 x 11 interactive PDF with an alphabet navigation on the first page that link to the alphabetized sections of terms / definitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines