• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign missing panels when application starts up

Participant ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe InDesign 2022 (vesion 17.0 x64) with Windows 10 Pro (version 21H1). The problem I am havings is that sometimes when I launch the software all the panels are missing. See the screen shot below for details.

Screen shot 01.jpg

It should look like this

Screen shot 02.jpg

If I lauch the software from the Windows Start menu and then open a file, the panels will show up. But if I use the shortcut of double-clicking on the file to both launch the software and open the file, the panels are missing.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Okay, now it's time to reset the preferences. See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting and be sure you do the cache files as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it might be in presentation mode. Press the Tab key and it should go back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it, it didnt work. It will show the panels if I manually choose a workspace from the Window menu. Also, this only happens when I take the short-cut of launching InDesign by double-clicking on the file so that InDesign opens to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, try resetting the workspace from the Window menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried. I does not give me the option to reset the workspace. See pic below

screenshot 3.jpg

I have to manually choose a workspace before it will let me reset it. When I launch InDesign first, then use it to open a file, it automatically opens my workspace. 

Also, this problem isnt tied to just one file; it happens on all my InDesign files. The problem began after the last InDesign update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now it's time to reset the preferences. See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting and be sure you do the cache files as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That took care of it. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I thought this problem was resolved, but the fix did not hold. About two weeks ago the problem resurfaced, which is: sometimes when I launch the software all the panels are missing. The screen shots from my original post are still valid, nothing has improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it recurs like that so soon it may be caused by a conflict with other software you are running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but I've had the same software on my machine forever and I haven't installed anything new. I never had this problem until about a month or so ago. The only software apps I run on a regular basis are Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Teams), Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) and Google Chrome. I've had these software apps on my machine for more than a year and haven't had this issue. The only thing I can think of  that would have changed is updates to Creative Suite or Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utilities that run in the background, like Anti-virus and anti-malware count, too, as do browsers, and these things update regularly so longevity isn't necessarly pertinent. Browser helpers can cause problems, too. A few years back some browser banking plugin wreaked havoc with ID.

All of which means it's pretty hard to know where to look when it takes a long time to fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, how do I fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not certain you ever will entirely fix it unless you stumble onto the cause accidentally. If it happened every time you ran the program you would have a shot at some trial and error program disabling to see if you could isolate the issue, but you can't really do that if you can't predict when the next failure is going to happen so that you know it didn't.

I'm afraid in your shoes I would just muddle along resetting prefs when necessary and hope that some update to something resolves the issue without other intervention. I describe how to make a backup set of prefs in the really old Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your preferences thread which can take most of the pain away from having to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines