• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign on Sonoma

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried Indesign on MacOS Sonoma?

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Hi @100pk,

Thank you for reaching out. We're currently in the process of testing and optimizing our latest apps to run on macOS 14 Sonoma. We recommend that you check the system requirements of InDesign for the latest information on compatibility with operating systems and hardware. For more details, please check this page

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has been compatible for some time with Ventura. But you must install the latest version—13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was following this page and nothing was posted about this but I saw the specs page on Adobe.
Hope the issue with a second screen (I have two Apple Displays) is solved as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost one month later and InDesign is still not yet compatible with MacOS Sonoma so we can not update to this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Apple is getting the message:

Apple pauses iOS 18, macOS 15 work to stomp bugs now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still after the latest apple updates, and the small Indesign update, the flyout menus don't open when placed on external monitor. It used to work after i setup a whole new user account on Sonoma, but after an update from Apple it is broken again. Sigh ... OK ... Sonoma is (still) not supported ... I know that ... but ... when? New Apple systems are sold with Sonoma preloaded already .. so ... Adobe CC should be supporting Sonoma soon ... right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are so right John but both Apple and Adobe are working on InDesign and hope they get it fixed soon!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a solution ... thanks to another user in the usergroup.

The problem appears ... when you assign Indesign to a certain monitor, ... which can be done with right mouse click. However, ... if you assign Indesign to monitor ... "none" ... the. the flyout menu's work!!! So as far as I see, it's an Apple problem. Please Adobe ... report this to Apple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean by assign InDesign to another monitor using the right mouse? I do have two Apple Display connected to my Mac Studio (still not using Sonoma)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a Sonoma bug only. I use "spaces" on macos, like multiple desktops, for years. Each app is assigned to a desktop on a monitor, so I can assign an app to a certain space on a certain monitor, so i have a clean work space for each app. This has always worked ... but with Sonoma ... there seems to be an issue at the moment. So Adobe ... report this to Apple please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does have plenty of its own issues to work out but it can't do anything to fix Apple's operating system bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what Beta testing helps. If Adobe had done that 3 months ago they'd be three months ahead of telling Apple what was up and wasn't on them. That's the entire point endlessly being made here. They (Adobe) are letting paying customers beta test and if you buy a new Mac as of today - CC doesn't actually work. That's some stance to support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know they didn't? Look, I have my share of complaints about how Adobe does things, but it's apparent that no matter what the case is here, you're going to find a way to blame Adobe for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing Adobe can do, if it is indeed an Apple only bug, is reporting it. Look into the problem and see how it can be resolved. We users, can only report it and put some pressure when needed. Both Apple and Adobe are huge companies, and I do believe they still have a firm relationship with each other.

The fact is, that people make a choice to upgrade to, let's say Sonoma, and they know the possible consequences. But on the other hand, Apple machines are already sold with Sonoma preinstalled … those people do not actually a have a choice. And i'm not talking about hobbyists or free time users. At the company I work for, we are about to order approx. 15 Mac Studio machines in near future. So then those kind off bugs … are not that pleasant, whoever you like to blame it for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Now, you can say what you want about Microsoft, but I believe you can still buy or configure a machine with Windows 10 on it. Microsoft has always been more careful about breaking old applications. You can still find a few folks who have Pagemaker running on Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I'm asking the company I pay explicitly for a service to concenrtrate on mking it work - and use teh beta programme to spot things users have reported months ago - and Adobe haven't even updated teh page they keep sending people to see if their apps work with Sonoma. 

I fully accept they don't care. I'll happily agree they need Apple to assist. What I'm not ready to do is shrug and stare out the window as they take my money and believe it's not on them to get the issue resolved.  As mentioned elswhere anyone buying a Mac today cannot use After Effects at all, InDesign without issues. 

You seem to be absolving Adobe just as energised as I am aggreived by them.

I only know what Adobe have told me, you're correct I'm making assumptions in teh space they're leaving empty.

I also accept my frustration manifesting as a mini head to head is not my intention - I wish you peace and happiness Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I'm trying to help here. I have never known Adobe to point a finger at Apple or Microsoft (both have had bugs in the O/S that have affected only InDesign) when it's not their issue to fix.

Have you tried contacting Apple's support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My humble opinion is … with beta testing … is that the quality of software in general goes down. Look at all the bug fixes apple launches already for iOS17, or even in the past. The companies did this to themselves. We users are getting spoiled to get a new version every year. The question is, do we actually need this? But, I'm purely speaking for myself now, I have this nostalgic feeling when software was launches every 3 of 4 years … those were the days 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been keeping an eye on the Adobe requirements. I've been burnt to many times in the past with Apple. Their insistance on annual OS upgrades – basically service packs – and turning macOS into an oversized iOS clone are clearly causing the issue here. I'm also not Adobe's biggest fan, but their software is incredibly complex and I'm not really interested in upgrading OSes if they break the software I've subscribed to to do my job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think I have ever had to wait this long before upgrading to the next MacOS. Now we are at version 14.2 and Adobe still wasn’t able to provide us with an optimised version of InDesign. So how are things with the newest update from Apple? Anything positive to report? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think I have ever had to wait this long before upgrading to the next MacOS. Now we are at version 14.2 and Adobe still wasn’t able to provide us with an optimised version of InDesign. So how are things with the newest update from Apple? Anything positive to report? 

By @sevenK

You can follow this discussion on prerelease:

https://forums.adobeprerelease.com/indesign/discussion/2383/progress-on-the-flickering-white-screen-...

Apple seemed to fix the issue in macOS 14.2 beta 4. However, the problem returned in the release version of 14.2. Adobe is in touch with Apple on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree! It is rather ridiculous that it is taking so long!
Hope both Apple en Adobe solve this issue a.s.ap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It surely does take time, but … you can look at it in 2 ways.

1) Adobe is far behind in making CC 2024 compatible with Sonoma. … Adobe is sloppy … etc.
OR …
2) Sonoma has some fundamental core changes, that makes software likesAdobe unstable and Adobe is on purpose refusing to support Sonoma until some  fundamental glitches are fixed.

Off course, we could argue about the fact that Sonoma has been in beta for some time, and Adobe had plenty of time to figure things out. BUT … and here is the BUT … ever since software companies started with public beta's … software has become more unreliable.

Indeed,  this is the easy way to typing it, mind you … I do want Adobe CC to be compatible with Sonoma asap. It has nothing to do with the fact that you are a fool to upgrade to a new OS asap. No … fact is, machines are sold with Sonoma preinstalled. People that use Adobe for a hobby, but also companies that pay a lot off money each year for Adobe subscriptions. … So … YES … it should be compatible asap. We are almost 2,5 months further now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have could not said any better!
Hope Adobe is fixed that ASAP as promissed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yes, off course that is our goal in posting in this thread. 🙂

However, we will just have to be patient … I just upgraded to Sonoma 14.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines