• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign on Sonoma

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried Indesign on MacOS Sonoma?

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Hi @100pk,

Thank you for reaching out. We're currently in the process of testing and optimizing our latest apps to run on macOS 14 Sonoma. We recommend that you check the system requirements of InDesign for the latest information on compatibility with operating systems and hardware. For more details, please check this page

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s probably the best advice. Would be great if you @Cptn.Morgan  could drop a mic if you notice that things are getting more usable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i will try to follow up as well. i work heavily in InDesign too, and this is a pretty huge dealbreaker. Thought of trying to roll back the update but that's usually a bigger PITA than just dealing with the quirks of the upgrade. however, this situation is pretty severe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had originally upgraded only to find that my Quickbooks for Mac 2019 install would no longer work. I went through the PITA to downgrade and manually restore all working files back onto my Ventura install. They got that bug worked out and I didn't notice any other issues so upgraded again to Sonoma only to discover the issues with InDesign. It never even occured to me at the time that Adobe wouldn't be fully prepared with their creative suite for Sonoma. I've been an Adobe customer since 1991 and I don't think there's ever been such annoying problem with a new OS being fully compatible. I don't want to go through downgrading again so I'm just dealine with it while grinding my teeth impatiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My words … I’ve also been working on Adobe since 1996 and I can’t remember that it took Adobe this long to get their apps running on a new OS update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've been on InDesign since the 90s as well; had that big chunky box for v1.0 on my shelf for years and ran a dual set up with Quark 4. It's been a pretty good ride. Still ticked off about Pantone going to pay panels. And this is just embarrassing. I tested it again just a second ago. No change even after restarts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire reason for a pay per month models is to distribute constant new versions over the air to keep the app working or add new functionality- I'd swap AI for stable right now. Now entering the time span where anything else failing the advice would start with "is your OS up to date". Answer - no. Two nearly three release out of date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have any of you asked Apple about this? Or do you hold them on such a high pedestal that the idea any of this could be on them is foreign to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Bob! Everyone here wants to blame Adobe for not updating itself to Sonoma. But I think Apple gets sloppy and doesn't pay attention to some of the seemingly small things which the InDesign product managers send to Apple. Early reports have it that the 14.3 release for developers now being tested (and probably to be released in January) will fix more of these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

taht's why we posted in a sonoma and indesign thread, to see if these issues were related to adobe or apple. if enough people are having them, then it's quite probably the OS. but an earlier poster said they were on the same update without issues so it's clear there's something else going on here. none of the other adobe apps are having issues under sonoma, so it narrows it down a little more. c'mon, folks, let's not get into another apple vs. windows debate. we're trying to solve a problem here as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*that's.

Sorry. morning fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To check - you're asking Apple to make an OS match an Adobe App. Not a software developer to make sure their app of which there are alternatives runs under a publicly beta tested almost third release operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've contacted Apple regarding the Spaces incompatibility issue. I'm not sure what will happen with it.

But your response, which seemed unnecessarily smarmy– ignored an aspect that maybe you should also consider: why are WE, the users, the ones who should report it to Apple? Obviously, there IS a problem; why isn't the onus on Adobe, the world's second-largest software developer, to work with Apple to fix the issue? It's affecting both sides, right? You can't just say, "Well, it's an OS issue, so it's not my problem," and walk away. Not when half of your user base is on that OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what makes you so sure that Apple and Adobe aren't working on it? From the information that I have available, Adobe has indeed reported this to Apple and they are working on it.

This has been an ongoing problem for months and while I could rattle off a whole list of issues that are Adobe's responsibility to fix, this is not one of them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you're missing the point. I am not implying that they aren't working on it; instead, you keep saying that it's not Adobe's issue. But it IS their issue as this is affecting their main user base. THAT'S the point.

No one is keeping Apple on such a high pedestal that they're beyond reproach here-- at least I am not-- but it sure feels like you're trying to absolve Adobe in any of the current compatibility issues.

I hope that clarifies it.

Peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely on Adobe to keep on Apple's case. I'm not debating that. But posting "me, too" over and over again here in mulitple on going discussions isn't going to get it fixed.

Adobe is on Apple's case about it and that's why the users should be on Apple's case as well. Telling Adobe to do what they're already doing is kind of silly when you should be telling Apple to listen to Adobe.

I hope that clarifies my viewpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has an arrogance about them that is getting rather long (sunsetting APIs etc – 10.6 removed Postscript support, and was only added back in after much calamour – and bricking an entire set of plugins for Final Cut and Motion). Could have been an incompatibility with the programming tools Adobe uses, who knows. But InDesign is a complex piece of software, and as much as I'd like to give Adobe a good telling off, from what I can see, they are pretty peeved with Apple as well. I'm staying on Ventura for the foreseeable. Widgets and screensaver wallpapers aren't really my cup of tea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think THE problem here is: noone is reporting this error besides us, the users. Apple and/or Adobe should communicate about what is going on here. What error is happening and for what reason and when or if this is going to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed … report to Apple … to a "customer service agent" … what can that person actually do I wonder? Apple and Adobe are big boys, so I assume they have direct connections with each other that go further then endusers like us will ever have? Wether or not Apple or Adobe are working on it, it takes a bit long imho. This is the first time ever in over 20 years I noticed such issues. Most issues I have endured are fixed for as far as I noticed, however I've not fieldtested in a production envirornment, and to be frankly honest I'm very pessimistic about it.

OK … you shouldn't upgrade to Sonoma … if you can. BUT … like I have mentioned before, machines are already delivered with Sonoma preinstalled. Like at our office we ordered 15 (!) Mac Studio's … to be operational mid january here … I advised to keep our current systems in spare just in case … those have Monterey on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we can feel confident of is that Apple released beta versions and Adobe waited for users to report issues that are universal and maybe could have seen when Sonama was in beta.

Adobe fanbois can police here as much as they want but Adobe saying day dot "yep - we know - we on this and have been for 3 months" versus their own pages saying "make sure you have the latest OS" as their step one resolution appears to suggest we are paying to beta test it ourselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is that there are hundreds or even thousands of applications that are running absolutely fine on Sonoma. Even the rest of the Adobe apps seem to be working smoothly. And then there is this one piece of software that just has major issues. This should tell us that the others apparently have made their homework on the transition to the new Operating System a lot better than this one developer team that has trouble getting their software to work, don’t you think? Say Apple would change something on their side to make this one software work, maybe this could affect others again that had been working just fine all along. 

Of course Apple has their quirks in the new releases of their operating systems the last couple of years. I’m not sure if it’s that good of an idea to try to present a new OS almost every year either. And of course developers of both aisles have to work together, especially if you’re one of the big players like Adobe with a complex software InDesign sure is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just on a hunch, i reset preference,s again. no good. still the delay. on a MacStudio Ultra M2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be another issue that's cropped up -- deleting pages also causes the spinning beachballs. That's a new one I just ran into today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO PROBLEM for me with Sonoma 14.2, MacBook Pro M1 Pro (2021), InDesign 19.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, in order to find solutions, we need to be honest here. Files opening slow ... I do believe you guys, no doubt about it, BUT ... opening files from an external drive, NAS or a server share with smb:// or afp:// protocol? Font managers active? Please, please ... deactivate document tracking if you use Connect Fonts (formerly Suitcase Fusion), ... and all tjat autoactivation shizzle, ... disable Adobe Fonts autoactivation, and disable automatic preflight.  Concerning fonts, I only activate the fonts I actually need for a job. After over 20 yrs being a desktop publisher, I still follow this habit as I know fonts can be really troublemakers. 

For me, I'm testing at home on a Mac Mini M1 (16 GB) ... and so far no real slowliness. I open files from mij external SSD drives. I was able to update to 19.1, I'm located in Belgium (Europe). Off course, I'm not using it in full production. To be honest, I'm a bit concerned. I plan to upgrade in future to a "finished OS" when the next version in nearly there. Meaning, always stay 1 version behind, because these kind off problems get on my nerves. I don't care about fancy stuff and features only hipsters find cool. I like to get my work done.

Indesign has always been the problem kid in the Adobe family it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines