• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign on Sonoma

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried Indesign on MacOS Sonoma?

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Hi @100pk,

Thank you for reaching out. We're currently in the process of testing and optimizing our latest apps to run on macOS 14 Sonoma. We recommend that you check the system requirements of InDesign for the latest information on compatibility with operating systems and hardware. For more details, please check this page

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also done a complete reinstall of Create Cloud and InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. Collect for output now works properly without hanging. But side menus STILL will not work on multiple monitors- which really stinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same setup so I will wait to install Sonoma on my Mac Studio with 2 connected Apple Displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop are not yet mentioned in the link so I suppose I have to wait. Seconly if read that side screens (drag them to the second monitor) does not seem to work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. I hope Adobe comes up with a fix soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or...and bear with me here...maybe Apple will come up with a fix. Either way, caution is always advised before a major upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah! Agree 100%!

It wooudl be nice if they'd work together. But you know Apple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, yes I know the dangers after over 20 years in the field, and I can confirm the bugs. I'm only fieldtesting, not in a production environment, and I'm reporting it to Adobe. Perhaps it's a macOS thing or Adobe thing … who knows, but it's a bug, no doubt about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just like to throw my own two cents worth about this topic by reprinting my response to a similar question:

"It is never a good idea to update to a brand new operating system. It must be kept in mind that when a new Mac OS is being developed Apple does not take into account any third party software and how it will run on the new OS. Software manufacturers such as Adobe and others must always wait and see what is needed to make their product compatible after the OS is released. It's always a game of catch-up. I personally always wait several months (or even longer) before updating. In following this forum it can usually be seen when is a good time for updating. It's when the posts about InDesign and other programs not functioning properly with the OS trickle down to few to none. This usually happens after several OS bug fixes and compatibility upgrades of the software."

I would also suggest turning off Auto-updates on the computer. Being able to make an educated choice about whether to update or not will always help to avoid disasters with using software that you may be relying on to make a living.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%. And this was the first time I have done that in at least a decade. I just kind of did it thinking this one wouldn't be. abig deal as it seemed mor eincremental than anythign revolutionary. But I shall go back to my cautious ways in the future, fo rsure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely right Bill, Thanks for your reply!
But I can remember that MacOS update before Big Sur for less of an issue Adobe software was not working properly. Although I love Apple equipment and software you would think as an end-user that Abobe would solve issues during the beta-versions but the reality is something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right. In the past I have always updated my operating systems right away tough. I was always anxious about the new systems, and their new features. Back then though I always had two Macs running, a stationary desktop MacPro and a MacBook Pro on the side, on which I usually installed the updates to see how they work. Now I only have a MacBook Pro and with Sonoma I somehow had a feeling that maybe I should wait an see how things are working, especially Adobe software, cause that’s what I’m using to make money with. I’m really glad that I was this cautious reading through many posts also on Reddit. I used to have auto-update enabled but now I have switched it off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem that i can not rename layers anymore in InDesign since i have installed sonoma. Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait for it to get fixed. Lots of issues are being reported from early adopters who didn't bother to check for compatibility or test their apps with the Sonoma betas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really is Adobe who did not bother to check during the months of development of macOS Sonoma.

In my opinion it is their job to inform us about all the things that don't work. Soon enough all new Macs we can buy will come with Sonoma preinstalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past if a new operating system went life Adobe updated their software shortly before that. This time they also published updates short before the release of MacOS 14 Sonoma and you would think that this time it’s the same as always. But it wasn’t, the latest releases are NOT compatible to the new OS. And we are a couple of days in already and still there hasn’t been any update by Adobe. Many people out there are actually depending on their software to make a living. This time it really sucks 🤷‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or...it was Apple that once again showed an utter disregard for backward compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is „easier" for a software developer to adopt to a new system than a system developer to thousands of applications, don’t you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No...I do not! Rule one when developing a new O/S whether it's Apple or Microsoft is to not break things that already work. As I've said before, I don't expect either Apple or Microsoft to worry about applications that were released 10 years ago, but current major releases? Yes, I expect them to respect their users and at the very least contact developers such as Adobe to inform them of any incompatibilities.

There's blame to go around but to find Apple completely innocent here is to bury your head in the sand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Apple is not completely innocent … but the update also didn’t come as a surprise for Adobe either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OTOH, what if Adobe is aware of bugs in the O/S? How are they supposed to fix them?

Bottom line here is the same as every other update...if you don't have the stomach for this then wait!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would second @BobLevine here. Even if we take a middle stand then also we can say for sure that Adobe and Apple must be working on getting this fixed. However, if we as users don't heed to the advice that the new OS is not yet officially said to be supported then we ourselves are inviting danger here. How do we know how serious these bugs are and how much time it is going to take to be fixed, the least we can do is to heed the advice of company who knows better than us.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, if I were a Mac user, I'd be rooting for the bugs to be in the O/S. They're far more likely to get fixed faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working on Macs and with Adobe for over 3 decades I had witnesses quite a lot of transitions to both new hardware and operating systems, with I would assume more complex changes to software requirements. Adobe pretty much always was able to provide stable updates to their software right from the start. Often they were the first ones to release compatible applications, because they’re aware of how essential they were/are for most of their customers. 

I think Adobe was too busy getting out all of their new AI features, that they didn’t take the OS upgrade serious enough. And it is Adobes job to fix the bugs, of course it is and always had been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if Adobe AND Apple being open and honest about any present bugs and what they are doing to iron them out. Including the expected timeline when transferring to Sonoma in a safe manner could be expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines