• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign | Page Layout | Dashed Line Around Half of Perimeter | What Does This Mean?

Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm formatting a book in InDesign. Everything appears to be working well, and I have a green "No errors" light in each of my chapters. The page borders, bleeds, and margins are set appropriately. However, the page spread features a heavy, black, dashed line on the right and bottom sides of the perimeter in the Preview mode only (View > Screen Mode > Preview). See the attached representative view taken at the bottom right corner. What does this heavy, black, dashed, perimeter line mean? Is this good, bad, normal...?

My searching via the Internet, ID Support Community, YouTube hasn't turned up anything yet.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Hi @Joe-New-to-ID , Are you sure you are in View>Screen Mode>Preview and not View>Screen Mode>Normal? The Preview mode should hide all grids and guides, but they look like they are showing in your capture.

In Normal view the guides show and the page trim guide is a black line:

Screen Shot 14.png

If you really are in Preview mode the black line you are showing would likely print:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joe-New-to-ID , Are you sure you are in View>Screen Mode>Preview and not View>Screen Mode>Normal? The Preview mode should hide all grids and guides, but they look like they are showing in your capture.

In Normal view the guides show and the page trim guide is a black line:

Screen Shot 14.png

If you really are in Preview mode the black line you are showing would likely print:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rob:

Good catch. I meant Normal mode. The thick, black, dashed line appears to be the trim line per your picture. I believe I'm all set then. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines