• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Page Layout

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.So i recently started making this brochure for a school assignment so i arranged my pages to be sent for offset printing but when i layout my printed spreads ontop of one another the elements of the right side of the spread is below the left one although both spreads are on the same level when viewed on the computer screen and it creates disharmony amongst the spread. Does anyone know a fix to this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Muhammad, Looks like you have a few things going on...

1. you should be designing your file as you would turn the pages. NOT as the printer would impose. [1], [2][3], [4][5]  NOT [1][12]. [2][11] etc. etc.

2. It looks like you are using "fit to page" and printing spreads across the short width of the paper. If you want to print a booklet, then there is a feature for that within InDesign, but you need to still setup your document 1,2,3,4,5....

3. As Derek states, your printing company will do the s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a screenshot of your issue would help us to help you better understand your issue. We need to know how many pages, what size, what kind of spread and what kind of layout. A screenshot will help us see most of that and give you options.

-Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20190210_175049.jpgScreenshot (17).pngScreenshot (18).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You send your printer individual pages (not spreads) – the printer will do the imposition.

Unless your printer has given you a spec, select PDF/X-4 from the InDesign presets, select, in the Export Adobe PDF dialogue box Pages (not Spreads), and under the Marks and Bleeds tab tick Crop Marks and also tick Use Document Bleed Settings (ensure the images that bleed do so).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my eventual binding technique requires me to use spreads though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muhammad, Looks like you have a few things going on...

1. you should be designing your file as you would turn the pages. NOT as the printer would impose. [1], [2][3], [4][5]  NOT [1][12]. [2][11] etc. etc.

2. It looks like you are using "fit to page" and printing spreads across the short width of the paper. If you want to print a booklet, then there is a feature for that within InDesign, but you need to still setup your document 1,2,3,4,5....

3. As Derek states, your printing company will do the switch (imposition) of the pages.

You are making this more complex than it needs to be.

-Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh thanks so much i had the original version that i designed but then I wasted like a couple of hours rearranging the pages . Thanks so much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify one last thing shld i still save if as pages or spreads before sending it for printing if i want a booklet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has to be exported as pages. The ID document should be set up as Facing Pages with page 1 or the cover on the right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said --->>>> my eventual binding technique requires me to use spreads though

Yes... and no... If you are the one running your printing press, then sure. But No... if you are sending to the printing company. They have special software that sets up things like bleed and page creep, etc.

-Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 1st thing you need to do is make sure that your pages can be divided by the number 4  to ensure that your booklet will properly layout. Then you need to call your printer and ask them exactly how they want the file to be  Exported.  Every printing company has a different workflows so they might want spreads. They might want you to print booklet with bleeds and crops. It all just depends on their workflow.

-dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Every printing company has a different workflows so they might want spreads.

Imposition software expects pages—InDesign’s built-in Print Booklet provides a means for printing rudimentary impositions and it needs pages. I think if you provided the 2-3 facing pages as a spread, the printer would have to intervene and somehow cut apart the spread because in a 16 page imposition 2 has to be moved to the left of page 15, and 3 has to moved to the right of page 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines