• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign paragraph spaceing while using initals looks different in different documents

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've currently the issue, that my paragraph style looks different in different documents, even after importing the paragraph format and checking out the distances. 
This is how it should look:
Screenshot 2022-11-13 100023.png

This is how it looks in the other document: 

MirjamPi_0-1668330345256.png

Does anyone have an idea how to take out the gap in the second line? Changing the distance on the left and taking back the first row doesn't solve the problem. 
I would be really thankful for a solution!
And sorry for some spelling/wording issues, I am using InDesign in German an its sometimes hard to translate the exact Adobe wording. 
Have a nice day!

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Hi @Mirjam Pi:

This issue as I see it is that you are trying to combine a drop cap with a hanging indent and InDesign is pushing that second line to the right to make way for the drop cap. Both features work well on their own, but not together. (Not clear why it would work in one file, and not the other though.)

If you increase the number of lines the bulb drops, the pattern continues. How about setting this up as bullet with a character style to change the font, increase the size, and push

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll need to know the version of InDesign, including the updates, if any, applied, as well as your OS.

I think we're also going to need to see the actual paragraph style defintion, and a sample file would help a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
thanks a lot!

My Indesign Version is v18.0, It looks on my Windows Computer (Win 11 Pro) and on my Macboook (Ventura) the Same. 
Attached a sample Indesign File. 
And here some Sceenshots.

MirjamPi_0-1668336759844.pngMirjamPi_1-1668336795754.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mirjam Pi:

This issue as I see it is that you are trying to combine a drop cap with a hanging indent and InDesign is pushing that second line to the right to make way for the drop cap. Both features work well on their own, but not together. (Not clear why it would work in one file, and not the other though.)

If you increase the number of lines the bulb drops, the pattern continues. How about setting this up as bullet with a character style to change the font, increase the size, and push it down with a baseline shift?

~Barb

2022-11-13_07-42-11 (1).gif

bullets.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, perfect, that solution worked. Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, @Mirjam Pi.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines