Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign performance problems after update to 17.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

since the 2022 update of InDesign I have terrible problems with the performance of indesign. The program starts properly but even when no document is open I already have a cpu usage of over 60% just by indesign. In addition, the display is extremely slow (even the mouse pointer jerks). A simple menu card, which I created before the update on the same system without any problems, can hardly be edited because the program reacts terribly slow. All other Adobe programs run fine and InDesign should do the same on my system with the following specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5900X
128GB DDR4-3400mHz RAM
10 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
Nvidia RTX 3090
1000W PSU

When I install InDesign 16.x it works fine and fast, furthermore Indesign 17.0 works fine and fast when I install and start it in a virtual machine in my system. So there must be some kind of bug in the program code related to version 17.0 and my hardware.

I have already made the following attempts to solve the problem:
- "Clean uninstall" and reinstall
- reset user defaults
- changed harddisk
- disabled CPU overclocking
- swapped RAM and tested on different speeds
- tried all UI scaling levels
- replaced the graphics card with a RTX 3090 from another brand
- tested five different nvidia studio drivers for the graphics card
- tested three different amd chipset drivers

None of my approaches could get InDesign to run smoothly and quickly on my system.

I've been dealing with this problem all day because it's driving me crazy, but now I'm at the end of my rope to identify the problem myself and unfortunately I'm forced to continue working with version 16.x.

Perhaps you are not yet aware of the error, or other users here on the forum can confirm similar performance problems.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble. I would suggest you try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
  • If that doesn't help, rename the UXP folder to UXP.old in the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"disabled CPU overclocking"

Hm. This would be very important to do before you install a new version.

When running InDesign it should give you no issues.

"when no document is open I already have a cpu usage of over 60% just by indesign. "

I see something like that as well. Not 60% perhaps; around 30%, but the cpu usage is going down to about 0.5% with no document open after a while. It takes a bit, maybe 20 to 30 seconds. That said: do you have fast internet access when you are running InDesign 2022? Maybe there are some components from CEP that are looking permanently for contact?

From my old Windows 10 laptop with Windows 10:

TaskManager-InDesign2022-Adobe-CEP-HTML-Engines.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first of all, thank you for taking the time to address my concerns.

unfortunately, the cpu load remains unchanged high, even if I open a document after 10 minutes of running time, the performance remains unbearably slow.

by cpu overclocking i mean the manufacturer precision boost overdrive from amd, which should not cause any problems since it is enabled by default on every ryzen amd cpu. and yes, i also disabled it for testing before i did a new clean installation of indesign 17.0.

oh, i should probably mention that i'm using windows 11 (retail build). the last version of indesign 16 was still running smoothly, as i said the problems only appeared with version 17 and the problem can be reproduced because every time i switch back to version 16 everything runs super smooth, and only when i update to version 17 the problems appear (after every clean reinstall).

as said before the strangest thing about the whole story is that indesign 17.0 runs perfectly and super smooth when i just install it in a virtual machine (windows sandbox and also vmware) - so it must have something to do with my hardware in combination with the indesign code when i try to run it natively in my OS.

my hardware works fine, all stability tests (industry standard tests like memtest or cinebench multicore stability test for 30 min) were successful - i also successfully worked on some heavy cpu and gpu load after effects projects and ran several power hungry blender renderings and don't notice any performance issues or problems with any other pc work - only indesign 17.0 causes these problems.

if i find the time i can also try to update to a windows 11 developer build to see if the problems might be caused by windows 11 in connection with the new indesign version.

the only interesting thing for me right now is if anyone else can report similar problems, especially if they are using the same processor or graphics card as me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were some known issues with AMD processors and Windows 11 when it was released. Have you run all of the Windows 11 updates?

FWIW, I just built a new machine for Windows 11 with an 11th gen i7 processor, 64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 4TB NVMe M.2 storage. It's screaming fast with no issues at all with InDesign. When you installed InDesign did you choose to migrate your preferences? If so, I would try to reset them and if you're still having issues, uninstall and reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there have been issues with windows 11 annd AMD cpus caused by a slower access-rate in L3 cache. But I already installed the "fix" chipset driver and updated to the latest windows 11 build. I ran several clean de-install and re-install of InDesign 17.0 without migrateing my settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any third party anti-virus software? Are you running it with admin privileges? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to say: Yes, I have fast internet access indeed. I have a 1 Gbit/s line in both directions (synchronously), i.e. in both, upload and download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Indesign 2021 worked fine (well, performance was underwhelming, but it worked)

All other 2022 apps work fine (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Muse, Lightroom, aftereffects, ...)

Indesign 2022 (17.0.1 x64) uses 25% of the CPU (that is 1 virtual core of 4 total) at full speed even when no document is open and just idling, even after an hour just waiting for it to settle down nothing changes. opening a document doesn't change anything either. 

Task manager says it's the indesign.exe that's causing the cpu load, not CEP HMTL Engine subtasks. It also says no GPU module is used (i have two in the system).

I have tried all the tips from above and below in this thread, including assinging a specific GPU chip to indesign through either windows or nvidia control panel, no changes.

System is:
- Windows 10 with all the latest updates for system and drivers

- Thinkpad P51s with Intel Core i7-7600U (2 cores, 4 threads), intel 620 graphics + nvidia Quadro G520 (assignable per application), 16GB ram, nvme ssd, fast internet connection (100/20mbit), 4k screen

- plugged into power, no battery / power save mode active

thing is that indesign is still performing better than 2021 version ever did when judging perceived performance, so there is an improvement, but it's just pushing the system fan to the limit in idle mode without any visible cause (which is annoying on a laptop system).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @chapter4abcdefg, I have sent a DM. Please check.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. You may try creating a new user account and see if that helps.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't offer any help; however, I checked the new ID version on a Windows 10 and 11 system. Both ran at less than 1% a few seconds after opening.

I am using NVIDIA RTX 2070 and an GTX 1650 (laptop).

Both have 64 GB RAM.

My tower has an M.2 SSD, while the laptop has a 2 TB SSD.

The biggest difference (I can see) is that I have Intel chips. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Seems to be pointing to an AMD-related incompatibility.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble. I would suggest you try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
  • If that doesn't help, rename the UXP folder to UXP.old in the following locations:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\
  • If that doesn't help either, uninstall the application using the CC Cleaner tool and restart the system (most important) reinstall from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anshul,

The instructions on the AMD help article did the trick. CPU usage back to 0,5%…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the problem even when updating to 17.1

Indesign always uses about 20% of CPU , no matter there is open document or not, super annoying It seems there is no way to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly same problem here 

all adobe 2022  products runs fine but indesign uses high cpu when it's idle .

hope adobe fix the problem as soon as possible .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @agule,

Sorry about the trouble. We have recently released an Indesign update v17.0.1. Would you please update and let us know if it helps? If it doesn't, please try the steps I have mentioned above. I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , thanks for fast response

non of those steps helps me.

- updated to 17.0.1 not fixed

- I also have NVIDIA graphic card , I tried to change graphic cards setting to use high performance but not fixed

- creating new user account  not fixed

- changing those folders name not fixed

- uninstall with cc cleaner tool then restart system then reinstall it not fixed

it actually use about 20% of my cpu , but non of other 2022 adobe products have this problem , also I tested Indesign v.16 that was totally ok and no issue.

screenshot_20211118_214903.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying the steps. I would request you to please try the steps suggested in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...) and let us know how it goes.

Also, please check if turning off the internet and small/ default settings in User Interface scaling in Indesign preferences help resolve the issue? Does this CPU usage constantly stay around 20% for more than 1 minute when no document is opened up? Please share your OS build no., edition and version.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for response . 

-I did those steps from link non of them fixed the problem.

-I also tested in safe mode , high cpu usage still exist.

- tested in Hidden Admin account , not fixed .

-turning off the internet didn't effect the issue at all.

-changing User Interface scaling in Indesign preferences didn't fix the issue .

yes cpu usage stay constantly in around 20% , I waited about 1 hour but nothing changed , It was still usuing 20% of cpu. (no document opened)

I will attach My OS property here:

screenshot_20211119_004209.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm facing exacty the same issues, with an Intel Pentium processor. 

None of the fixes listed above helped. 

Do you have other ideas? This is very ennoying. 

Thank you,

Catherine 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which processor exactly and how much RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Pentium Core i7 and I have 12 Gb RAM. I'm running Windows 10

Processeur Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
Mémoire RAM installée 12,0 Go (11,9 Go utilisable)
Type du système Système d’exploitation 64 bits, processeur x64

Édition Windows 10 Famille
Version 21H1
Installé le ‎04-‎11-‎20
Build du système d’exploitation 19043.1348
Expérience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CathDesign, I have sent a DM. Please check.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a Pentium processor. That line is quite old and was just making sure of that.

That out of the way, the recommended minimum RAM for InDesign 2022 is 16GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines