Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign pictures appearing black

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm layouting pictures on InDesign. It always worked perfectly, and all of a sudden when I opened the Id file (one too many times apparently), all the pictures turned black or grey/black like a frozen TV (see picture). 

Links are still working, pictures are .tiff, and generated directly from Cinema4D. The little icon of the page on the right side also displays them just fine. 

What I don't understand is why they always appeared just fine, and all of a sudden, without relinking nor updating the original picture, they all become black. 

Thank you in advance,

Theodore

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Performance , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some things to try:

(1) Choose View > Display Performance and make sure it's set at High Quality Display.

(2) Quit InDesign and launch again and check the display.

(3) There could be corruption in the file. Choose File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]. Reopen the IDML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off GPU Performance in your InDesign preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the (very) quick replies. 

@Steve Werner  I did step one and two. Funny enough, I actually realized that the images show when I'm in the standard display, but that the problem appears when i turn it back to high quality (which was the default before).

Could the problem be that the pictures combined together are too heavy, and create a display problem when in high quality?

@BobLevine unfortunately did not change anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also suggest following my third suggestion. There could be corruption in your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on 1-2 suggestions, I tried to export the file in JPEG (where I could see the images in standard display but not in HQ), but the export came out empty. Only white pages. I tried to export it in PDF and InDesign crashed. 

I tried suggestion 3, re-opened the IDML and (even in HQ) all images displayed as grey boxes (see attachment)... I don't really know what the problem is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried suggestion 3, re-opened the IDML and (even in HQ) all images displayed as grey boxes (see attachment)... I don't really know what the problem is.

If the re-opened idml file shows grey frames instead of actual previews, it means either that:

• the links were missing when you exported the indd file ao idml format
  • there are problems with the previews of your imported images files. Did you try to open them in Photoshop and to resave them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing to try: You could have a problem with your InDesign preferences and caches:

Here's how to handle that:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Fileshttps://www.rockymountaintraining.com › adobe-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines