• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign placement of excel files uses system defined regional format settings

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to override this behavior in either extendscript or sdk?

It would be great to either override this behavior or make InDesign reload the regional format on the system using some function.

The reason for request:

• When placing excel files, InDesign uses the systems regional format settings for e.g. thousand separators
    • 123,000 (in my excel file) would become (123 000) when placed if my regional format were to be set to Swedish (Sweden)
    • 123 000 (in my excel file) would become (123,000) when placed if my regional format were to be set to English (USA)

The only workarounds that I have found are:

1. find/replace after placement, but would be quite complex so I'd prefer a better solution than this
  2. relaunch the application after changing the regional format (not ideal)

Thanks for any feedback!

TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just incase my description was not clear, I have attached 2 screen recordings and a sample excel file to demonstrate the scenario:

InDesign_nbbsKh0MbL.gif

InDesign_ISZEVOV7W8.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this makes a difference - try this script from Luis Corullon: https://corullon.com.br/scripts/product/switch-indesign-interface-language/

I'm familiar with the issue as CSV files generated from excel - usually from europe - use semicolons as delimiters, not commas - it's something that had interfered with a script of mine. Full write-up is here: https://colecandoo.com/2022/05/16/to-be-or-csv-that-is-the-delimiter/

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, switching the indesign interface language had no effect. It seems that InDesign always uses what is defined for your regional format.

You can see all of the values in Registry Editor: 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn.

Only other solution I could think of would be to use a GREP style or nested style to turn the comma into a no fill/no stroke character so it couldn't be seen e.g. 123,456 becomes 123 456 - the comma is still there, but because the character style assigned to the GREP/Nested style had no fill or stroke, it wouldn't be visible. Unfortunately, this only goes one way - from USA to Swedish formatting.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, GREP was my starting solution but seems quite complex when you also factor in decimal separators, currency formats, knowing which numbers to format etc.

I would feel much more confident in trusting InDesigns logic when placing the data. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem with date formats. I do following workaround. I bring the Excel cells in the correct format to Word and import the Word file. It goes flawless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While that seems like a good workaround, it doesn't seem to cover my scenario with more advanced example documents.

My desired solution for what I am trying to accomplish is to:

1. Get InDesign to acknowledge my regional format settings have been updated without re-launching the application
  2. Be able to provide InDesign with regional format settings instead of referring to the system defined regional format

The 2nd option would be the most desireable, but I suppose both of those options would be feature requests.

Is there an appropriate forum to request such things? (sorry i'm new to the community)
Is there a way to get in touch with Adobe developers?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines