• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Print Booklet | Only half pages exporting

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a booklet, everything looks great, cover and back are on one spread (saddle-stitch layout), there are multiples of 4 pages for the whole booklet as well. When the Post Script file comes out, however, it only has the left sides of the spreads and not the other sides. Anyone know what could be the problem?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People ask how to export an imposed PDF on the forum fairly often, and most of the time it turns out that they don't really need an imposed PDF. First, if you are using PostScript, you are using an outdated method that will make an inferior PDF that may or may not be good enough for what you want. What you probably need is a PDF exported as PDF/X-4 in single pages in the order that they will be read. From there, if you need it printed as a booklet, you can use either the booklet-production settings of your print device, or those in Acrobat.

So, why do you want an imposed PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migintosh,

I don't know if I neccesarily need nan imposed PDF, but I've used PostScript because it used to work for me. Eveerything would print out well from the PS. BUT, I would love to learn a new mthod, or the PDF/X-4, whatever will help me set up the booklet for printing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whatever will help me set up the booklet for printing.

Are you printing the imposed booklet in house? It would be really unusual for a commercial printer to want imposed pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm printing the imposed book in house

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export a proper PDF and use Acrobat's built in booklet function to print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

The problem is: I am trying to export it "normally," but the file is only exporting the left pages and missing all the right pages in the booklet. I've checked all the possible exporting options and it still isn't working right.

I also am not familiar with the process in Adobe to use the built in booklet function. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we may be missing each other with our terminology. When you say you export it "normally," what do you mean, because in your first post you talked about Post Script. Did you mean that your PDF had only the left sides, or did you actually mean you were saving a PostScript file and distilling it into a PDF? If the latter, that's not "normal." What you need is File>Export, choose Adobe PDF (Print) as the Format, and PDF/X-4:2008 as the Adobe PDF Preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, "normally" means, I've exported a booklet as a post script using the print booklet feature in InDesign. Then opened it in distiller and converted the .ps to a print ready .pdf.

That was my "normal" process, however when I try to export under print booklet, the preview shows it exactly how it should be but after the export only the left pages are in the .ps file.... Since my method wasn't working, I tried to export it just as a regular pdf. But that also was only exporting as the left sides of the project (without half of the booklet basically).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do what I wrote in the last line of my last post and it doesn't work, then your file may be damaged. Try making a new document with 4 pages of placeholder text and see if that works. If it does, you have a damaged file. If it doesn't, you may have something wrong with your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is NOT an export.

Stop jumping through all of these insane hoops and export a PDF and use the Acrobat booklet feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me to a link describing how the Acrobat booklet feature will save files in printer spreads?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@1Ton, it doesn't save files as spreads. Acrobat allows you to print the booklet from a regualr PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm printing the imposed book in house

In Print Booklet>Print Settings make sure Adobe PDF 9.0 is chosen as the PPD, and Print Blank Pages is checked. Also make sure the page count is multiples of 4, and the Paper Size under Setup is large enough to contain a document spread—i.e. if it is a letter sized document the paper size has to be at least 17"x11":

Screen Shot 17.png

Screen Shot 18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

That might be part of the problem! In the Print Settings, I cant chose Adobe PDF 9.0 in the PPD. It says either: 1. Printer Device or 2. Device Independent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to download and install the PPD. Here is the Adobe download page, follow the instructions carefully the PPD has to go in Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 20XX/Presets/PPDs

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue. A 32 page I design booklet file .sp , when PDFed, comes up with 26 alternate pages file.

I chose to convert this way because, when I exported as PDF, the gap between facing pages is increased in the printed copy.

however, when I used the ruler and measured the gap on my Mac, it has the gap I set.

going through postscript option allowed me to specify the gap but the problem is with getting half the document. I did select include blank pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try the Javascript I posted in this thread, which directly exports imposed PDFs

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/scripting-the-printing-booklet/m-p/12159991#M435989

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I'll try it today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines