• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign publish online cover image not displaying in Facebook

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've used the Publish Online capability for many InDesign documents, and this has never happened before. When I choose to share this document on Facebook, instead of the cover image, I get a generic image. Why? I'm not doing anything differently than ever before....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

It finally works on Safari FB debugger, but not on iMessage or other social platforms like linked in etc

Also when people share their links with me I'm not able to see the cover image of their links.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah:

What did you select under the Advanced tab for the cover thumbnail?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried two different things. First, I did my normal selection, which has always worked just fine in the past — just the first page of the document. When that failed to work, I tried a "Chosen Page," and I selected page 1. Neither has worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah:

That's odd. There is one more option to explore. You could export the first page of the file as a PNG, and then use Choose Image (again in Advanced) to load it.

Now, I'm unclear if this falls in the category, but when InDesign starts behaving erratically, trashing preferences (or the cache) often restores normal behavior.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, perhaps I will try trashing the preferences at some point. In the meantime, I had tried using the Choose Image option, and that does work. Hopefully, trashing the preferences will make it so this extra step isn't necessary. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah:

A lot of InDesign answers fall into two categories:

1. can we just make it work to meet a looming deadline, and once the doc is published (and you can breathe again);
  2. can we fix the underlying issue so that this crisis doesn't reoccur.

It sounds like we found a successful workaround for this publication. It would awesome if you could come back and let us know if trashing preferences takes care of it for future publications. I'm not having any issues with the cover image, so I'm hopeful that that will be the fix. And if not, of course, report that as well.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue and choosing an image isn't fixing this. This has been a problem for years, can you guys please prioritize it to be fixed soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @danielbhall ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please share a few more details like:

1. The version of InDesign & OS.
  2. Is this happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  3. Have you tested this on a different browser?
  4. Have you tried restoring preferences as suggested above?
  5. Will it be possible for you to share a sample link where the cover image is not appearing?

We're here to help, just need more information.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. InDesign 2022 on Mac BigSure v11.6

2. Multiple Files

3. I've tested on multiple sites and browsers

4. Yes I cleared preferences

5. see this link as expame - https://indd.adobe.com/view/1cdca2b8-922c-4544-94f6-7fe078e77962

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been having the same issue with the Publish on Line feature.  I have used the feature for quite a few years, and it always worked by choosing the first page of the document.  But now it doesn't,  I just get a generic blank image.
I have read through all of the suggestions, like choosing a different page, choosing a specific image ( a png of the first page) and also clearing preferences and cache.
I have also tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox. All of these suggestions fail.
I see others are also still having this issue, like Ida2816825163qm
I hope someone can help us.

thomasac93659294_0-1675077980773.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the same problem now. Always worker before. 

Testing the link with the Facebook Sharing Debugger and it says 

Provided og:image URL, https://indd.adobe.com/view/publications/.../Thumbnails/Share/share.png could not be processed as an image because it has an invalid content type.

Looks to me that this is broken from Adobes side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this right now! It might be a trivial matter but still important; a thumbnail (picture) on social media is quite imporant to gauge the attention of users... So I sincerely hope that this issue will be quickly solved by Adobe team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this with INDD 2023.  No matter what setting style I select, the cover thumbnail remains blank.  Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue. FB debugger shows that invalid content type error on my link. I've tried every suggestion in here to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just shared this to my own FB feed (for my view only) and the preview looks fine, screen shot below.

I'm using Mac OS 11.6 and Safari 15.0.

Could it be a browser issue on your end? Can you try a different configuration?

DianeBurns_0-1658548353011.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, interesting!

But unfortunately still not working for me, I tried the FB debugger in chrome and safari as well as iMessage and it still comes up blank when links outside of indd are working just fine. See attachements for what I see on my end.

I too am using Mac OS 11.6 and Safari 15.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to be clear, are you seeing the problem in Chrome also?

I just tested in both Firefox and Chrome on my Mac and the preview displays in FB just fine.

Do you have another device/computer you can check it on? 

Here is the Firefox example:

DianeBurns_0-1658785497582.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It finally works on Safari FB debugger, but not on iMessage or other social platforms like linked in etc

Also when people share their links with me I'm not able to see the cover image of their links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have tried letting InDesign select the default thumbnail; I've alternatively selected a specific page for the thumbnail, and I've also tried uploading a specific image for the thumbnail. In all cases, the thumbnail does not show when sharing to Facebook from Chrome. This is InDesign 2023 (v18) on a MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.0 and Google Chrome Version 107.0.5304.121. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please note that the forum is flagging me as an Adobe employee. I used to be! But I retired in 2020 after 20 years with the company. Congrats on your 40th anniversary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem - very dissapointing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone from Adobe taken an interest in solving this, or acknowledged there is a problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I've complained on a regular basis. Right now, I'm looking at flip books 😞 they all say to use canva. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines