Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign reading my text as a shape

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

As a part of my workflow, I create my files in Illustrator and then I use InDesign to export a PDF file. But now I'm having a problem with my text, as you can see in the first picture, thats how my file is supposed to look and the second picture is how it become when I open my file on InDesign and also on the PDF file. What can I do to solve that?
Important: I can't expand the the text

AnaCMartins_0-1639665318174.png

AnaCMartins_1-1639665341679.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just save a PDF from Illustrator and be done with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!  This is the best, but I also would like to know if there's a solution that I could keep using InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I open my file on InDesign

Please provide more detail as to the exact steps you're taking. You can't "open" an Illustrator file in InDesign. Also, your description suggests a problem with the text, but unless I'm missing something, the text itself doesn't look any different in the two views you offered. It's also not clear why InDesign is involved at all as a PDF export method when you could just Save As PDF in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the place command to import the Illustrator file in InDesign. Im sorry, I said the text but I was trying to talk about that grey shape that shows in the second image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your imported .ai file have the transparency box checked? If not, do so. Is there any type of effects on the placed .ai file in indesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any reason not to place the native .ai file?

Illustrator 2022

ai1.png

File > Save as (defaults)

ai3.png

Native .ai file placed into InDesign 2022

ai2.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines