• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign's file remembering folders now dictated by tool

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Indesign navigates folders has become very annoying and is creating a lot of extra work. It used to be defined by the files themselves or by InDesign. Now it is defined individually by each tool which is taking a lot of time extra navigating when switching between multiple projects or clients, and makes it very easy for files to end up in the wrong places. It did not used to be this way. Am I missing a preference somewhere? 

Below is a list of the how each tool is navigating. 

File Save As:
a. New File: Last folder Indesign save to by any file
b. Existing indd file: The Files current location
c. Existing idml file: Last folder Indesign save to by any file (not it’s current location)

Export:
a. Same as file
b. Once anything is exported in any folder not the same as the file, it exports to the file’s last export location
If copying a file: Save As resets it the export option to a. Duplicating with finder or packaging the file does not.
C. If a new file has never been saved, it will follow the export rules of the last file InDesign used

Package: Last folder Indesign packaged to by any file.
Place: Last folder Indesign placed from by any file.
Relink: Last folder Indesign relinked from by any file
Data Merge Source: Uses export to define
Load Styles: Last folder Indesign loaded a style from
Import PDF Comments: Last folder Indesign attempted to place comments from, even if unsuccessful.

For the record, I see I am using InDesign 18.5 / Ventura 13.5.2 but behaved this was on Big Sur too (posted to uservoice as a bug also)

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

InDesign > Preferences > File Handling > Links > Default Relink Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign > Preferences > File Handling > Links > Default Relink Folder

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you – that works great for relinking and it appears maybe saving. Any preference for all the others I don't see? My primary pain point is packaging files then exporting pdfs. They don't ever want to go to the same place, let alone the folder my file is in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opeing the .indd ferom the package folder to do the export to PDF? That might solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This adds different steps. 20+ years of being able to do the same thing the same way is my main the issue. It used to at least tie to the files or the application. Tying it to the tools is only good for users who only work on one thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows i have a script which reads a current indd file location (path) and if i hit CTRL+E for export, it always export the PDF next to the INDD file, (actualy in PDF folder next to the indd file, if PDF folder not exist script will created this folder)
@DTPtutorialyCZ
#miNerikejZetoNejde

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you share this script or tell the rest of us how to access it?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

video and link here:
https://youtu.be/187R6iKGqkY
1. free to use
2. Windows only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a mac, this program has been a gamechanger - it's called default folder X - lets me go back to last known location (or others) really quickly: https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -I'll check this out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For a partial scripted solution for exporting PDFs, see my post for a similar matter here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/export-location-changed/m-p/14192713#M548051

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines