• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Save Script with File Name Variable

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to create a script for indesign that could do the following.

Be able to save all currently open Indesign documents with the script asking for a save location once to use for all open documents and then asking for a fixed file name for all documents and then saving each document with the fixed file name + a variable from a text box on the Indesign page which has a script label.

Fixed File Name_[ScriptLable].indd

The indesign documents that would be open to run the script on would be untitled and previously unsaved.

Hoping the above is clear enough for someone to let me know if this is even possible?

Any help appreciated.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible, sure. You'd need to choose a folder path and you'd need to know which page item has the script label. All possible. Feel free to post code if you get stuck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brian, good to know this is achievable.

My scripting knowledge is limited to a small amount of AppleScript and I am assuming this this would only be doable in Javascript?

If anyone is able to outline a script for me to learn from or get started with that would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done in Applescript if InDesign is running on a Mac. The InDesign Scripting Guide has what you need to get started for both Applescript and JavaScript (Extendscript)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks fo the link Brian and for taking the time.

To be honets as much as I would like to learn more about scripting any free/learning time I have at this point is spent learning more about using the actual Adobe Applications for Graphic Design.

I will look to Fiverr or Upwork to get this realize and maybe further down the line I can look more into learing about scripting.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines