Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign scale text size with text box - Text Frame Options

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I used to be able to scale a text box with cmd and shift and the text would scale with the text box

Now using Indesign CC this doesn't happen.

I think I need to change the settings in the Text Frame Options window.

What do I need to change to scale the text with the text box.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Christian,

Have you tried rebooting, then running InDesign first before other applications to see if it works then. I gave Chrome plug-ins as an example of things that could  conflict with InDesign keyboard modifiers. There are other applications that can do that but you'll have to launch applications one at a time to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me in the current version InDesign CC 2015.

Tell us more about your InDesign version and computer platform.

Start by restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Does Cmd + Shift scaling work correctly for scaling a picture and its contents?

If that also doesn't work, you may have third party software interfering with your modifier keys. For example, some Chrome plug-ins can cause this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac OX El Capitan, Indesign 11.3.0.34

I've deleted the preferences but still getting the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my question about using Cmd + Shift for scaling pictures. If that doesn't work, there is conflicting third party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Both images and text don't scale with cmd, cmd + shift, etc.

alt doesn't do anything either.

I reset Google Chrome. Still doesn't work.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't work because nothing works.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled InDesign, reinstalled it. Nothing works.

I deleted old preferences and caches as described here: CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences and still nothing works.

I can't duplicate, I can't resize, etc.

I need to finish this contrat by the end of this morning and I really need help.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian,

Have you tried rebooting, then running InDesign first before other applications to see if it works then. I gave Chrome plug-ins as an example of things that could  conflict with InDesign keyboard modifiers. There are other applications that can do that but you'll have to launch applications one at a time to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Did that and InDesign works perfectly now! Thanks!

Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that worked for you. But it will reoccur if the problem software isn't identified so you still have to figure out what is interfering with your modifier keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an answer. but not a solution.

In InDesign 16.4 this happens again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you figure out the conflict, you could try the Free Transform tool, along with the Shift key and see if that works.
InDesign CCss_061.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, where cmd+shift would scale the size but not the text. I fixed it by going to the preferences>general>object editing and making sure that the adjust scaling percentage was on under the "When Scaling:" vs the apply to content and it fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the Free Transform tool with the Shift key, Dennis?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best answer! Thanks! It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work.  It still did not scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue and for me it has been a conflict with Safari.  Quit safari and it works.  Then re-boot safari and you can use safari again with it still working  in InDesign.

If Safari is open BEFORE you open InDesign, it causes issues for me.  So just make sure you open InDesign first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI! I also had this problem and going preferences>general>object editing and making sure that the adjust scaling percentage was on under the "When Scaling:" fixed it. I have another problem now: with InDesign CS 5.5 when I scale a text box it scales also the text and it showed the change real time. Meaning that while I was moving the mouse the text was changing size so I could see real time the result. InDesign CC does not do that, the box changes and only when I let go of the mouse the text changes size.

Is this something that can be handled with settings? It is really slower for me to not be able to see the result right the way but have to make different trial, I deal with A LOT of boxes to resize...

Thank you in advance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! You've probably found this solution, but because I found this thread in search for this answer I thought I'd reply for others who stumble upon it. This can be solved by: Preferences > Interface > Live Screen Drawing: Immediate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a solution that surprised me. I'd seen people in this thread saying to go into preferences, so I hit "Command + ," which usually opens preferences in most Mac apps, but instead, it scaled down the content, including the text size! Turns out "Command + ," scales everything down by 1%, and "Command + ." scales everything up by 1%. Others are probably already familiar with these key commands, but they're new to me, and it solved the problem, so I figured I'd share it here.

(P.S. Adding the Option key to the combination changes the scaling percentage to 5%)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the adjust layout option to resize a A4 size booklet with 40 pages to A5 size all at once. but the text doesn't seem to resize. Has anyone has this issue? Do I have to do any settings in preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have exact the same problem, looked everywhere online but did not find an anwser. Now trying to contact Adobe, there must be a way.... So annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines