• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign-Script to change paragraph style for for complete textbox transformations?

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Sorry, if the titel may already be confusing, couldn't summarize it better. :-)))

Here we go: in a newspaper layout I have different texboxes, each containing title, subtitle and copytext. They are 1 to 6 columns wide. And there's a hirarchy: the big stories with much text make the main part of the page, so they get a big title. There may even be infoboxes withouth subtext etc. etc. The big titles have an own title-style (mainly font-size).

No problem: changing the object styles for boxes with the same paragraph styles in it. Changing a hirarchy1-element from 3 to 5 rows: just one click, no problem.

Problem though: changing a 5 column hirarchy1-text into a 5 column hirarchy2-text. I guess because there is no information that tells "my mouseclick": when you change from object-style 1 to object-style 2 you have to take the text containgn paragraph style 1 and convert it into paragraph style 2.

I uploaded an example of what I mean with the different hirarchy levels. To convert from H1 to H3 you would chose different title sizes and you would e.g. have to convert the subtitle into normal copytext. To convert from H2 into an infobox, you would furthermore have to chose a different font family.

The paragraph styles would have to be converted cleanly, because  I need the specific name of the style for a later export into online-text (which is not part of this problem, off course).

Does anybody understand what I mean? Is there a way to store this list of commands, can one do this with a script?

Stefan23333114t862_0-1645801928854.png

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know anything about scripting, but you should be able to get what you need by using the next style feature:

Capture d’écran 2022-02-25 à 16.22.17.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-02-25 à 16.22.25.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-02-25 à 16.23.56.jpg

Capture d’écran 2022-02-25 à 16.22.48.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear jmlevy,

thank you for answering, appreciate it very much. I know the feature of "next paragraph style", but I don't think it can solve the problem.

Let's play through my problem, to make it maybe more clear: I have the main text on a page with the "H1" title style. This H1-title would be implemented into an object style that could be "main text". Now the planner of this page would take the importance of that text down one notch. It's not "main text" any more, it might be "second text". So I click on the object style "second text" that incorporates paragraph style "H2". That doesn't work as far as I understand object style.

It would be ideal when the title would be classified as title (general), and depending on which object style I use it formats that titel as H1, H2, H3 etc. - I think just like CSS does it with HTML.

Best regards,

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I click on the object style "second text" that incorporates paragraph style "H2". That doesn't work as far as I understand object style.

Maybe I do not fully understand your issue since English is not my native language but object style should work:

Capture d’écran 2022-02-28 à 11.21.46.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-02-28 à 11.21.56.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-02-28 à 11.22.03.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-02-28 à 11.24.56.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-02-28 à 11.25.06.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines