• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Sees Dropbox Online-Only Files As Modified Links

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming this is because the filesize changes when it is moved from local storage to online-only in Dropbox, but it means that if I open an InDesign file and some of its links are currently 'online-only', they show as modified and I have to go to the links menu and update all links. Updating the links changes them in Dropbox from online-only to local storage, and then everything works fine. 

Is there a setting or combination of settings that I can change that means either A) InDesign no longer sees an online-only version of a file as being modified, or B) InDesign will automatically fix modified links without me having to prompt it?

TOPICS
How to , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022
Turn off smart sync. This holds true for other cloud-based services such as OneDrive and Google Drive as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off smart sync. This holds true for other cloud-based services such as OneDrive and Google Drive as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that resolving the issue if you've worked on an InDesign file then gone back to it a few weeks later and Smart Sync has modified the files in the meantime by changing them to online-only, but it wouldn't resolve the issue for when you open that InDesign file on another computer, or if someone else on the team opens it, as for them the files will have always been online-only and turning off Smart Sync wouldn't affect that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn it off for anyone involved in this workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Sync automatically converts a file from local storage to online storage after a period of time, but if another person has not yet opened that InDesign file then it will already be showing as online-only for them (We cannot have the entire Dropbox folder set to local storage by default as it is over 5TB of data). Turning off Smart Sync for them would not resolve that situation at all, because the file is online-only from the very beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only other suggestion is have anyone involved set any active folder to local before work begins.

In short, I do not see this as an InDesign issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thank you. I didn't specifically think of it as an InDesign issue, I just wondered if there were any settings that could be changed to combat a naturally occuring issue. 

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. In a lot of cases, InDesign will just crash if there are a lot of links and the application just times out wait for them all to become available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Dropbox for at least a decade and have not had issues with this until recently. I'm assuming this is some conflict that has developed in one or more of the newer versions of InDesign as I have not used the application now for a couple of years. I have just returned to using it and am noticing every time I hit "save" to my work (I have trained myself to save often!), InDesign immediately displays at "read only" notification to the file name and it then appears to be frozen (though it's not.) If I continue to work after saving and then try to save again, I get a pop-up notice that the file is 'read only' and can only be saved with a new file name...which is a bit maddening considering how often I save my work. Additionally, if after saving I look in the Dropbox folder where the file exists, there is a temp file also located in the folder which remains until I close the file in InDesign. By the way, I do have SmartSync enabled; however, I have turned off the auto-sync feature - so any work I save is saved locally...so I'm not convinced SmartSync is the issue - unless I'm missing something. Again, I have never had this issue in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turn it off. Leave it off.

Beyond that, this post was asked and answered and it sounds like whatever your problem is is not related to InDesign or the original issue. If you think it is, please start a new thread. I'm going to lock this one to avoid any confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines